Re: RFE: Make instance name visible in ps output

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2011
      On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 09:38:08PM +0200, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

      > * Victor Duchovni <postfix-users@...>:

      > > > I see, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I was looking for something
      > > > simpler.
      > >
      > > Is this useful?
      >
      > Definitely! I ran it on a machine that has four instances of whom two weren't
      > running and it failed on the first one not running. Could it be the script
      > does not handle such situations?

      You of all people should be able to better explain what "failed" means...
      The script tests the master.pid lock, and only reports child processes
      when the master is running. What went wrong in your case? It is a simple
      enough "script" (pretty much a one-liner), likely you can improve it...

    • Patrick Ben Koetter
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2011
        * Victor Duchovni <postfix-users@...>:
        > > > Is this useful?
        > >
        > > Definitely! I ran it on a machine that has four instances of whom two weren't
        > > running and it failed on the first one not running. Could it be the script
        > > does not handle such situations?
        >
        > You of all people should be able to better explain what "failed" means...
        > The script tests the master.pid lock, and only reports child processes
        > when the master is running. What went wrong in your case? It is a simple
        > enough "script" (pretty much a one-liner), likely you can improve it...

        Apologies for being that terse. I ran the script on a host whose details I may
        not expose in public. I'll get hold of a better test environment and I will
        improve it if I can.

        p@rick

        justified.

        saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2011
          FYI, there exists no standard function to set the "process title".
          BSD has setproctitle() in the system library which as the manpage
          says, is "implicitly non-standard".

          Other systems don't have an equivalent in their system library, as
          far as I know. I prefer not to maintain Postfix's own version.
          Such code mucks with the argv array and is totally non-portable.