Re: RFE: Make instance name visible in ps output

  • Patrick Ben Koetter
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 12:38 PM
      * Victor Duchovni <postfix-users@...>:
      > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:08:40PM +0200, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
      >
      > > > So to find which master is which instance you need to look in the master.pid
      > > > files or in /proc, ... If you do look in /proc, each child process has
      > > > MAIL_CONFIG in its environment...
      > >
      > > I see, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I was looking for something
      > > simpler.
      >
      > Is this useful?

      Definitely! I ran it on a machine that has four instances of whom two weren't
      running and it failed on the first one not running. Could it be the script
      does not handle such situations?

      p@rick

      > postmulti -ax /bin/sh -c '
      > $daemon_directory/master -t || {
      > echo ${multi_instance_name:--} $(cat $queue_directory/pid/master.pid)
      > }' |
      > while read iname pid
      > do
      > ps -p $(pgrep -P $pid) | sed -e "s/^/$iname /"
      > done
      >
      > For cut/paste the one-line version:
      >
      > postmulti -ax /bin/sh -c '$daemon_directory/master -t || { echo ${multi_instance_name:--} $(cat $queue_directory/pid/master.pid); }' | while read iname pid; do ps -p $(pgrep -P $pid) | sed -e "s/^/$iname /"; done
      >
      > --
      > Viktor.

      justified.

      saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 12:58 PM
        On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 09:38:08PM +0200, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

        > * Victor Duchovni <postfix-users@...>:

        > > > I see, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I was looking for something
        > > > simpler.
        > >
        > > Is this useful?
        >
        > Definitely! I ran it on a machine that has four instances of whom two weren't
        > running and it failed on the first one not running. Could it be the script
        > does not handle such situations?

        You of all people should be able to better explain what "failed" means...
        The script tests the master.pid lock, and only reports child processes
        when the master is running. What went wrong in your case? It is a simple
        enough "script" (pretty much a one-liner), likely you can improve it...

      • Patrick Ben Koetter
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 1:32 PM
          * Victor Duchovni <postfix-users@...>:
          > > > Is this useful?
          > >
          > > Definitely! I ran it on a machine that has four instances of whom two weren't
          > > running and it failed on the first one not running. Could it be the script
          > > does not handle such situations?
          >
          > You of all people should be able to better explain what "failed" means...
          > The script tests the master.pid lock, and only reports child processes
          > when the master is running. What went wrong in your case? It is a simple
          > enough "script" (pretty much a one-liner), likely you can improve it...

          Apologies for being that terse. I ran the script on a host whose details I may
          not expose in public. I'll get hold of a better test environment and I will
          improve it if I can.

          p@rick

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 5:51 PM
            FYI, there exists no standard function to set the "process title".
            BSD has setproctitle() in the system library which as the manpage
            says, is "implicitly non-standard".

            Other systems don't have an equivalent in their system library, as
            far as I know. I prefer not to maintain Postfix's own version.
            Such code mucks with the argv array and is totally non-portable.