Re: Mail transmission/re-injection question

  • Des Dougan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2011
      On April 2011, at 3:52 PM, Noel Jones wrote:

      > On 4/30/2011 5:36 PM, Des Dougan wrote:

      >>> To requeue mail, use "postsuper -r QUEUEID" or "postsuper -r ALL"
      >>> http://www.postfix.org/postsuper.1.html
      >>>
      >>> but if the mail doesn't show up in "postqueue -p" then the mail isn't in postfix. Maybe you still have sendmail installed?
      >>>
      >>> If you need more help, please provide more evidence.
      >>> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
      >>>

      >>> -- Noel Jones
      >>
      >> Noel,
      >>
      >> Thanks for your reply. From this log example, it does seem to be a postfix-related message (and there are no sendmail daemons active):
      >>
      >> Apr 30 15:14:55 enterprise postfix/smtpd[29644]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from AAA-AA-AAA.AAAAAAAA.AAAAA.AAA[DDD.DDD.DDD.DDD]: 554 5.7.1<AAA-AA-AAA.AAAAAAAA.AAAAA.AAA[DDD.DDD.DDD.DDD]>: Client host rejected: Access denied; from=<AAA@...> to=<AAAAAAAA@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<[DD.DDD.DDD.DDD]>
      >>
      >> I notice that the above is from a remote location. The client settings have been configured to authenticate (or were, at any rate). If they had been reset, is this the message that would show in authentication was not in place?
      >
      > This is mail trying to enter postfix, and postfix doesn't accept it.
      >
      > Is this you or your authorized client? If they successfully AUTH postfix would log a line containing
      > ... sasl_method=METHOD, sasl_username=userid, ...
      >
      > or if they tried to AUTH and were unsuccessful, postfix would log
      > ... authentication failed ...
      >
      > The ACCESS DENIED message is from a REJECT command, and the "Client host rejected" means the reject was either a bare reject in smtpd_client_restrictions, or the result of a check_client_access map lookup.
      >
      > I don't see either of those anywhere in your config. Maybe the client is connecting to another port, ie. submission or smtps, with custom master.cf settings.
      >
      > At any rate, if there is no message about either successful or failed AUTH, then the client didn't attempt AUTH and was correctly rejected.
      >

      > -- Noel Jones

      Noel,

      Thanks for this. I'll follow-up with the client to ensure they're correctly set up.

      Regards,

      Des
      --

      Des Dougan
      Principal

      http://www.DouganConsulting.tel <-- Get all my contact information here.
      http://www.DouganConsulting.com

      Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.

      ---

      Imagine anyone on the planet being able to find and then contact you with a single click. YourName.tel is all you will give anyone ever again. Want in?

      http://registertel.tel/