Re: barracuda and relayhost

  • Jim Wright
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2011
      On May 1, 2011, at 10:47 AM, James wrote:

      > Why does the barracuda think the "Client host" is ISP2.smtp but it
      > blocks the IP of my server?
      > Shouldn't relayhost make the barracuda see the "Client host" AND IP as
      > ISP2.smtp?

      My experience is that the barracude will look at where the message originated, and if it doesn't like that, it can reject it. There are multiple levels that can be configured on how messages can be rejected, their strongest levels are pretty brain dead. Your task will be to convince the admin of that other system that they are missing legitimate mail by using settings that are overly strict.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2011
        On 5/1/2011 10:47 AM, James wrote:
        > On 04/30/11 18:04, Noel Jones wrote:
        >> On 4/30/2011 4:19 PM, James wrote:
        >>> My client is ISP1.
        >>> I submit mail to the postfix server for my domain (server running on
        >>> ISP2).
        >>> I use relayhost=smtp.ISP2 on the server for my domain.
        > The recipient is on ISP3 which uses a barracuda.

        That was unclear from your original description.

        >>> Is there a way to make relayhost work in this case?
        >>>

        >> Contact the postmaster in charge of ISP2 to whitelist you.
        >>
        >> -- Noel Jones
        > Why does the barracuda think the "Client host" is ISP2.smtp but it
        > blocks the IP of my server?
        > Shouldn't relayhost make the barracuda see the "Client host" AND IP as
        > ISP2.smtp?

        Barracuda has the ability to parse Received: headers and
        reject mail based on previous hops. Some barracuda owners
        unwisely enable this feature.

        The offending header is added by your relayhost. If you also
        control the relayhost, you can add postfix header_checks rules
        to mangle or remove the offending header. See a discussion
        from a couple days ago about this same issue.

        If you do not control the relayhost, you'll need to contact
        the recipient domain postmaster via an alternate channel and
        try to convince them to whitelist your domain or (better) turn
        off the "deep inspection" feature of the barracuda. It's
        likely they are rejecting a significant amount of legit mail
        with this setting, with little impact on overall spam.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2011
          James:
          > Why does the barracuda think the "Client host" is ISP2.smtp but it
          > blocks the IP of my server?
          > Shouldn't relayhost make the barracuda see the "Client host" AND IP as
          > ISP2.smtp?

          They look at the message header to find out where ISP2.smtp received
          the message from, and that's how they find your server's IP address.

          Some DNSBLs are designed to block *DIRECT* mail from residential
          IP addresses, but the Barracuda is mis-configured - it uses this
          DNSBL also for correctly *RELAYED* mail.