Re: Fallback Transport For Virtual Domains

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2011
      Manish Kathuria:
      > On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      > > Wietse Venema:
      > >> Manish Kathuria:
      > >
      > > I did not read the question carefully.
      > >
      > > If most users are remote, see
      > > http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#some_local
      > >
      > > This uses virtual_alias_maps, instead of transport_maps.
      > > There is no way to avoid that you will have to specify
      > > every user that requires local delivery.
      > >
      > > ? ? ? ?Wietse
      > >

      > So I guess I need to map those limited number of user addresses from
      > other domains to local user names using virtual_alias_maps without
      > specifying these domains as virtual_alias_domains.

      I will let the example speak for itself:
      http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#some_local

      > Since these
      > addresses are not many , it would be easy to specify all of them. And
      > the mail addressed to other users on these domains will automatically
      > get delivered through the relay hosts without using any fallback
      > transport maps. Is that correct ?

      If these domains are not local, then you must specify the domains
      in relay_domains, and their recipients in relay_recipient_maps.

      Postfix virtual domains are by definition domains that your machine
      is the final destination for, just like Postfix local domains.

      If you use Postfix virtual domains to implement domains that deliver
      elsewhere, then you are not using Postfix correctly. This was the
      only way that qmail could handle the case, but with Postfix, such
      usage is incorrect. It will cause problems and when you ask for
      help, it will cause confusion.

      See: http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html.