Transport Mapping

  • Seelke, Eddie
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
      I have a VPS setup that is running two websites. I am using Virtualmin
      to manage these two sites.

      On deluxetech.com, I have WHMCS installed and am using Google Apps for
      email. I have Google Apps setup so that any email not recognized is
      automatically forwarded to the smtp of this vps server. I have about
      10 email addresses setup in WHMCS's ticketing system. All of these
      emails are coming through fine. WHMCS is also sending out the response
      to the user.

      However, the problem I am having is that user@... is not
      being redirected to Google Apps. I have setup my email address in
      Transport Mapping under Postfix in Webmin. But, I get the following
      error:

      Admin Email Notification Sending Failed - SMTP Error: The following
      recipients failed: user@...
      SMTP server error: 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
      virtual alias table

      I have my Transport Mapping as:
      user@... smtp:deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.

      I am pretty sure the issue has to do with the fact that Postfix is not
      reading the transport mapping before the virtual aliases, but I cannot
      figure out how to do that. If possible, I would prefer the smtp server
      to redirect any unkown@... user to Google Apps.

      Thanks for any help that you can provide,
      Eddie

      ------------------------------------------postconf
      -n----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
      canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
      command_directory = /usr/sbin
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
      debug_peer_level = 2
      fallback_transport = hash:/etc/postfix/fallback_transport
      home_mailbox = Maildir/
      html_directory = no
      inet_interfaces = all
      local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps $transport_maps
      mail_owner = postfix
      mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME
      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
      manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
      mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
      node1.deluxetech.com
      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
      readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
      recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_canonical
      relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
      sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/bcc
      sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
      setgid_group = postdrop
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
      permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination
      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
    • Daniel Bromberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
        On 3/1/2011 11:13 PM, Seelke, Eddie wrote:
        > I have a VPS setup that is running two websites. I am using Virtualmin
        > to manage these two sites.
        >
        > On deluxetech.com, I have WHMCS installed and am using Google Apps for
        > email. I have Google Apps setup so that any email not recognized is
        > automatically forwarded to the smtp of this vps server. I have about
        > 10 email addresses setup in WHMCS's ticketing system. All of these
        > emails are coming through fine. WHMCS is also sending out the response
        > to the user.
        >
        > However, the problem I am having is that user@... is not
        > being redirected to Google Apps. I have setup my email address in
        > Transport Mapping under Postfix in Webmin. But, I get the following
        > error:
        >
        > Admin Email Notification Sending Failed - SMTP Error: The following
        > recipients failed: user@...
        > SMTP server error: 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
        > virtual alias table
        >
        > I have my Transport Mapping as:
        > user@... smtp:deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.
        >

        > I am pretty sure the issue has to do with the fact that Postfix is not
        > reading the transport mapping before the virtual aliases, but I cannot
        > figure out how to do that. If possible, I would prefer the smtp server
        > to redirect any unkown@... user to Google Apps.
        >
        > Thanks for any help that you can provide,
        > Eddie
        I am confused by your question so others might be as well. Without
        delving into the transports stuff which others are better to comment on,
        clarify your architecture/scenario.

        As background, here's your MX record (I'm only showing priority 1, the
        highest):
        deluxetech.com MX preference = 1, mail exchanger =
        deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com

        So the *incoming* scenario is:
        1) Any outsider sends an e-mail to user@...
        2) Their relay MTA looks up the MX record and sends it on to
        deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com, the Google Apps server
        3) The Google Apps server is forwarding unrecognized users' mail to your
        Postfix server. This includes 'user@...'? Or not?
        4a) If 3)->yes, then you want the e-mail to go BACK to
        deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com, as per your transport table?? Creating a
        routing loop?
        4b) If 3)->no, then you can't expect to have any further control over
        the message addressed to user@..., correct? It just stays in
        Google Mail storage.

        Or are you referring to an entirely different scenario? Some kind of
        *outgoing* relay issue?

        -Daniel
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
          On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:13:50PM -0600, Seelke, Eddie wrote:

          > 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

          This means the recipient address domain is listed in virtual_alias_domains,
          and the address was not rewritten by virtual_alias_maps into a real domain.

          See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

          > I have my Transport Mapping as:
          > user@... smtp:deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.

          The domain needs to be a relay, virtual mailbox, or local domain, not
          a virtual alias domain.

          > I am pretty sure the issue has to do with the fact that Postfix is not
          > reading the transport mapping before the virtual aliases,

          No. This is not the case. Rather, you don't understand the semantics of
          virtual alias domains. They contain no deliverable addresses, only
          aliases to deliverable addresses in *other* domains. Failure to rewrite
          the recipient to a real domain cannot be worked around with transport
          mappings.