Virtual Alias Translation to User Mailbox Not Passed to Dovecot LDA

  • marc@veary.org.uk
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi,

      I have a problem with my installation of postfix and virtual aliases
      (mysql). When an email is sent to a virtual alias, the smtp subsystem
      translates the alias to the correct real mailbox. However, when the
      dovecot/pipe subsystem is called, the recipient is the alias and NOT the
      real mailbox. For instance, abuse@... is resolved to
      myuser@..., but the recipient that the dovecot LDA receives is
      abuse@... rather than myuser@..., and since dovecot's
      SQL does query users from the 'alias' table only the 'users' table, thus
      the message is bounced.

      I have tried all that I can think of to resolve this, but to no
      avail...

      Any help gratefully received.

      Kind regards,
      --
      Marc

      Log Output:

      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: dict_proxy_lookup:
      table=mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf flags=lock|fold_fix
      key=abuse@... -> status=0 result=marc@...
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: maps_find:
      virtual_alias_maps:
      proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf(0,lock|fold_fix):
      abuse@... = marc@...
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: mail_addr_find:
      abuse@... -> marc@...
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: smtpd_check_rewrite: trying:
      permit_inet_interfaces

      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: deliver_request_get: file
      active/1A0F639AF0
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: deliver_message: from
      <someone@...>
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const 1000s
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: get_service_params: time_limit
      1000
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: get_service_attr: uid 5000,
      gid 5000, flags 196632, size 0
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const
      /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const -f
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: expand ${sender} ->
      someone@...
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const -d
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: expand
      ${user}@${nexthop} -> abuse@...
      Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: connect to subsystem
      private/bounce
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
        On 3/1/2011 7:55 AM, marc@... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a problem with my installation of postfix and virtual
        > aliases (mysql).

        Right. We've seen your message three times now. Maybe you're
        not aware that gmail suppresses duplicate messages; the copy
        sent by the list doesn't show in your inbox.

        You need to provide some useful information as requested.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Marc L. Veary
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
          My sincere apologies to all. I was not aware of the supression. I'll
          dig it out an reply from this address as I have stopped using the gmail
          account.

          Many apologies again.
          --
          Marc

          On 01/03/2011 14:01, Noel Jones wrote:
          > On 3/1/2011 7:55 AM, marc@... wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I have a problem with my installation of postfix and virtual
          >> aliases (mysql).
          >

          > Right. We've seen your message three times now. Maybe you're not
          > aware that gmail suppresses duplicate messages; the copy sent by the
          > list doesn't show in your inbox.
          >
          > You need to provide some useful information as requested.
          >

          > -- Noel Jones
        • Marc L. Veary
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
            I have nothing in gmail.

            Could someone let me know what further info is required?

            Kind regards,

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
              On 3/1/2011 8:15 AM, Marc L. Veary wrote:
              > I have nothing in gmail.
              >
              > Could someone let me know what further info is required?
              >
              > Kind regards,
              > --
              > Marc

              [please bottom post on this list]

              It's in the archives

              http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html
            • marc@veary.org.uk
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:26:09 -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
                > On 3/1/2011 8:15 AM, Marc L. Veary wrote:
                >> I have nothing in gmail.
                >>
                >> Could someone let me know what further info is required?
                >>
                >> Kind regards,
                >> --
                >> Marc
                >>

                > [please bottom post on this list]
                >

                > It's in the archives
                >
                > http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html

                Here is some more details on the config, etc.
                The OS is Debian 5.x and postfix, dovecot are apt installs.

                Thank you for the help
                --
                Marc

                postconf -n
                ===========
                append_dot_mydomain = no
                biff = no
                config_directory = /etc/postfix
                disable_vrfy_command = yes
                inet_interfaces = all
                local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps
                local_transport = virtual
                mailbox_size_limit = 0
                mydestination = localhost
                myhostname = smtp.mydomain.com
                mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
                myorigin = mydomain.com
                proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $virtual_alias_maps
                $virtual_mailbox_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps
                readme_directory = no
                receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                recipient_delimiter = +
                relayhost =
                show_user_unknown_table_name = no
                smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
                smtpd_client_restrictions =
                smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining, permit
                smtpd_hard_error_limit = 10
                smtpd_helo_required = yes
                smtpd_helo_restrictions =
                smtpd_recipient_limit = 128
                permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination, permit
                smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
                smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
                smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
                smtpd_sender_restrictions =
                smtpd_soft_error_limit = 8
                smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
                smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/mycert.pem
                smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/mykey.pem
                smtpd_tls_security_level = may
                strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
                virtual_alias_maps =
                proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
                virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                virtual_mailbox_base = /opt/vmail/
                virtual_mailbox_domains =
                proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
                virtual_mailbox_maps =
                proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                virtual_minimum_uid = 5000
                virtual_transport = dovecot
                virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

                master.cf
                =========
                smtp inet n - - - - smtpd -v
                #submission inet n - - - - smtpd
                # -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
                # -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
                # -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
                # -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
                smtps inet n - - - - smtpd
                # -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
                -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
                # -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
                #628 inet n - - - - qmqpd
                pickup fifo n - - 60 1 pickup
                cleanup unix n - - - 0 cleanup
                qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr
                #qmgr fifo n - - 300 1 oqmgr
                tlsmgr unix - - - 1000? 1 tlsmgr
                rewrite unix - - - - - trivial-rewrite
                bounce unix - - - - 0 bounce
                defer unix - - - - 0 bounce
                trace unix - - - - 0 bounce
                verify unix - - - - 1 verify
                flush unix n - - 1000? 0 flush
                proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
                proxywrite unix - - n - 1 proxymap
                smtp unix - - - - - smtp
                # When relaying mail as backup MX, disable fallback_relay to avoid MX
                loops
                relay unix - - - - - smtp
                # -o smtp_fallback_relay=
                # -o smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
                showq unix n - - - - showq
                error unix - - - - - error
                retry unix - - - - - error
                discard unix - - - - - discard
                local unix - n n - - local -v
                virtual unix - n n - - virtual -v
                lmtp unix - - - - - lmtp
                anvil unix - - - - 1 anvil
                scache unix - - - - 1 scache
                # Dovecot Delivery
                dovecot unix - n n - - pipe -v
                flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f
                ${sender} -d ${user}@${nexthop}
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                  On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:44:25PM +0000, marc@... wrote:

                  > postconf -n
                  > ===========
                  > receive_override_options = no_address_mappings

                  There's your problem.

                • Marc L. Veary
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                    On 01/03/2011 15:34, Victor Duchovni wrote:
                    >> postconf -n
                    >> ===========
                    >> receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                    > There's your problem.

                    Ah! That's sorted it! This had been driving me around the bend...

                    Really appreciate the help.

                    Kind regards,
                    --
                    Marc
                  • /dev/rob0
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                      On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:44:25PM +0000, marc@... wrote:
                      > On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:26:09 -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
                      > >On 3/1/2011 8:15 AM, Marc L. Veary wrote:
                      > >>I have nothing in gmail.
                      > >>
                      > >>Could someone let me know what further info is required?
                      > >
                      > >It's in the archives
                      > >
                      > >http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html
                      >
                      > Here is some more details on the config, etc.
                      > The OS is Debian 5.x and postfix, dovecot are apt installs.

                      You are still lacking useful (non-verbose) logs. That said, I think
                      the problem is quite obvious:
                      > receive_override_options = no_address_mappings

                      More nitpicks:

                      > postconf -n
                      > ===========
                      snip
                      > local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps

                      Wrong. Why did you do this?

                      > local_transport = virtual

                      Ugly. Why?

                      > receive_override_options = no_address_mappings

                      This should only be used in conjunction with content filtering, on
                      either side of the filter. You don't have a content filter.

                      > show_user_unknown_table_name = no

                      Bad idea.

                      You have numerous settings of defaults. Those should not be in your
                      main.cf. You have numerous settings that I don't think you
                      understood. Why? Leave things at default unless you know why you're
                      changing it.

                      I'd suggest scrapping the whole install and starting over with this
                      guide:
                      http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

                      Why do you need mysql at this point? Why do you need the dovecot
                      transport? Learn to walk before you try to run.

                      > master.cf
                      > =========
                      > smtp inet n - - - - smtpd -v

                      Again. You do NOT need verbose logs. Do NOT use -v here.
                      1. You won't be able to understand them
                      2. Those who do understand them won't be willing to dig through
                      all the noise.

                      Remove the -v here.
                    • Marc L. Veary
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                        On 01/03/2011 15:42, /dev/rob0 wrote:
                        > On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:44:25PM +0000, marc@... wrote:

                        >>> It's in the archives
                        >>>
                        >>> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html
                        >> Here is some more details on the config, etc.
                        >> The OS is Debian 5.x and postfix, dovecot are apt installs.
                        > You are still lacking useful (non-verbose) logs. That said, I think
                        > the problem is quite obvious:
                        >> receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                        > More nitpicks:
                        >
                        >> postconf -n
                        >> ===========
                        > snip
                        >> local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps
                        > Wrong. Why did you do this?
                        >
                        >> local_transport = virtual
                        > Ugly. Why?
                        >
                        >> receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                        > This should only be used in conjunction with content filtering, on
                        > either side of the filter. You don't have a content filter.
                        >
                        >> show_user_unknown_table_name = no
                        > Bad idea.
                        >
                        > You have numerous settings of defaults. Those should not be in your
                        > main.cf. You have numerous settings that I don't think you
                        > understood. Why? Leave things at default unless you know why you're
                        > changing it.
                        >
                        > I'd suggest scrapping the whole install and starting over with this
                        > guide:
                        > http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
                        >
                        > Why do you need mysql at this point? Why do you need the dovecot
                        > transport? Learn to walk before you try to run.
                        >
                        >> master.cf
                        >> =========
                        >> smtp inet n - - - - smtpd -v
                        > Again. You do NOT need verbose logs. Do NOT use -v here.
                        > 1. You won't be able to understand them
                        > 2. Those who do understand them won't be willing to dig through
                        > all the noise.
                        >
                        > Remove the -v here.
                        I'll take your suggestions on board and have a clean up. Basically, I
                        have been adding configs to try to fix the original issue.

                        Thanks again for the help.
                      • Benny Pedersen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                          On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:55:49 +0000, marc@... wrote:

                          > I have tried all that I can think of to resolve this, but to no
                          > avail...

                          dovecot can be wery powerfull at times, but how did you manage to get
                          passwords working on aliases ? :-)

                          problem you have is to let postfix do alias rewrite before calling dovecot
                          lda (so it only see mailbox)

                          see dovecot wiki on howto configure postfix with lda