Re: Virtual Alias Translation to User Mailbox Not Passed to Dovecot LDA

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
      On 3/1/2011 7:29 AM, Marc Veary wrote:
      > Any help gratefully received.

      You don't give us much to go on here...

      For further help, please see:

      Do NOT post debug output unless specifically asked for it.
      Do post your "postconf -n" and modifications to master.cf.
      Do post unmodified non-debug log entries demonstrating the
      problem. Usernames may be changed, but in a consistent way.
      Use example.com/example.net/etc. for redacted domain names,
      don't use real domains that aren't yours.

      -- Noel Jones
    • marc@veary.org.uk
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hi,

        I have a problem with my installation of postfix and virtual aliases
        (mysql). When an email is sent to a virtual alias, the smtp subsystem
        translates the alias to the correct real mailbox. However, when the
        dovecot/pipe subsystem is called, the recipient is the alias and NOT the
        real mailbox. For instance, abuse@... is resolved to
        myuser@..., but the recipient that the dovecot LDA receives is
        abuse@... rather than myuser@..., and since dovecot's
        SQL does query users from the 'alias' table only the 'users' table, thus
        the message is bounced.

        I have tried all that I can think of to resolve this, but to no
        avail...

        Any help gratefully received.

        Kind regards,
        --
        Marc

        Log Output:

        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: dict_proxy_lookup:
        table=mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf flags=lock|fold_fix
        key=abuse@... -> status=0 result=marc@...
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: maps_find:
        virtual_alias_maps:
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf(0,lock|fold_fix):
        abuse@... = marc@...
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: mail_addr_find:
        abuse@... -> marc@...
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/smtpd[9561]: smtpd_check_rewrite: trying:
        permit_inet_interfaces

        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: deliver_request_get: file
        active/1A0F639AF0
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: deliver_message: from
        <someone@...>
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const 1000s
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: get_service_params: time_limit
        1000
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: get_service_attr: uid 5000,
        gid 5000, flags 196632, size 0
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const
        /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const -f
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: expand ${sender} ->
        someone@...
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: const -d
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: dict_eval: expand
        ${user}@${nexthop} -> abuse@...
        Mar 1 08:47:39 ims1 postfix/pipe[9566]: connect to subsystem
        private/bounce
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
          On 3/1/2011 7:55 AM, marc@... wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have a problem with my installation of postfix and virtual
          > aliases (mysql).

          Right. We've seen your message three times now. Maybe you're
          not aware that gmail suppresses duplicate messages; the copy
          sent by the list doesn't show in your inbox.

          You need to provide some useful information as requested.

          -- Noel Jones
        • Marc L. Veary
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
            My sincere apologies to all. I was not aware of the supression. I'll
            dig it out an reply from this address as I have stopped using the gmail
            account.

            Many apologies again.
            --
            Marc

            On 01/03/2011 14:01, Noel Jones wrote:
            > On 3/1/2011 7:55 AM, marc@... wrote:
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> I have a problem with my installation of postfix and virtual
            >> aliases (mysql).
            >

            > Right. We've seen your message three times now. Maybe you're not
            > aware that gmail suppresses duplicate messages; the copy sent by the
            > list doesn't show in your inbox.
            >
            > You need to provide some useful information as requested.
            >

            > -- Noel Jones
          • Marc L. Veary
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
              I have nothing in gmail.

              Could someone let me know what further info is required?

              Kind regards,

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                On 3/1/2011 8:15 AM, Marc L. Veary wrote:
                > I have nothing in gmail.
                >
                > Could someone let me know what further info is required?
                >
                > Kind regards,
                > --
                > Marc

                [please bottom post on this list]

                It's in the archives

                http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html
              • marc@veary.org.uk
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                  On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:26:09 -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
                  > On 3/1/2011 8:15 AM, Marc L. Veary wrote:
                  >> I have nothing in gmail.
                  >>
                  >> Could someone let me know what further info is required?
                  >>
                  >> Kind regards,
                  >> --
                  >> Marc
                  >>

                  > [please bottom post on this list]
                  >

                  > It's in the archives
                  >
                  > http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html

                  Here is some more details on the config, etc.
                  The OS is Debian 5.x and postfix, dovecot are apt installs.

                  Thank you for the help
                  --
                  Marc

                  postconf -n
                  ===========
                  append_dot_mydomain = no
                  biff = no
                  config_directory = /etc/postfix
                  disable_vrfy_command = yes
                  inet_interfaces = all
                  local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps
                  local_transport = virtual
                  mailbox_size_limit = 0
                  mydestination = localhost
                  myhostname = smtp.mydomain.com
                  mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
                  myorigin = mydomain.com
                  proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $virtual_alias_maps
                  $virtual_mailbox_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps
                  readme_directory = no
                  receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                  recipient_delimiter = +
                  relayhost =
                  show_user_unknown_table_name = no
                  smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
                  smtpd_client_restrictions =
                  smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining, permit
                  smtpd_hard_error_limit = 10
                  smtpd_helo_required = yes
                  smtpd_helo_restrictions =
                  smtpd_recipient_limit = 128
                  permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination, permit
                  smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
                  smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
                  smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
                  smtpd_sender_restrictions =
                  smtpd_soft_error_limit = 8
                  smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
                  smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/mycert.pem
                  smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/mykey.pem
                  smtpd_tls_security_level = may
                  strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
                  virtual_alias_maps =
                  proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
                  virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                  virtual_mailbox_base = /opt/vmail/
                  virtual_mailbox_domains =
                  proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
                  virtual_mailbox_maps =
                  proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                  virtual_minimum_uid = 5000
                  virtual_transport = dovecot
                  virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

                  master.cf
                  =========
                  smtp inet n - - - - smtpd -v
                  #submission inet n - - - - smtpd
                  # -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
                  # -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
                  # -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
                  # -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
                  smtps inet n - - - - smtpd
                  # -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
                  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
                  # -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
                  #628 inet n - - - - qmqpd
                  pickup fifo n - - 60 1 pickup
                  cleanup unix n - - - 0 cleanup
                  qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr
                  #qmgr fifo n - - 300 1 oqmgr
                  tlsmgr unix - - - 1000? 1 tlsmgr
                  rewrite unix - - - - - trivial-rewrite
                  bounce unix - - - - 0 bounce
                  defer unix - - - - 0 bounce
                  trace unix - - - - 0 bounce
                  verify unix - - - - 1 verify
                  flush unix n - - 1000? 0 flush
                  proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
                  proxywrite unix - - n - 1 proxymap
                  smtp unix - - - - - smtp
                  # When relaying mail as backup MX, disable fallback_relay to avoid MX
                  loops
                  relay unix - - - - - smtp
                  # -o smtp_fallback_relay=
                  # -o smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
                  showq unix n - - - - showq
                  error unix - - - - - error
                  retry unix - - - - - error
                  discard unix - - - - - discard
                  local unix - n n - - local -v
                  virtual unix - n n - - virtual -v
                  lmtp unix - - - - - lmtp
                  anvil unix - - - - 1 anvil
                  scache unix - - - - 1 scache
                  # Dovecot Delivery
                  dovecot unix - n n - - pipe -v
                  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f
                  ${sender} -d ${user}@${nexthop}
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                    On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:44:25PM +0000, marc@... wrote:

                    > postconf -n
                    > ===========
                    > receive_override_options = no_address_mappings

                    There's your problem.

                  • Marc L. Veary
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                      On 01/03/2011 15:34, Victor Duchovni wrote:
                      >> postconf -n
                      >> ===========
                      >> receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                      > There's your problem.

                      Ah! That's sorted it! This had been driving me around the bend...

                      Really appreciate the help.

                      Kind regards,
                      --
                      Marc
                    • /dev/rob0
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                        On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:44:25PM +0000, marc@... wrote:
                        > On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:26:09 -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
                        > >On 3/1/2011 8:15 AM, Marc L. Veary wrote:
                        > >>I have nothing in gmail.
                        > >>
                        > >>Could someone let me know what further info is required?
                        > >
                        > >It's in the archives
                        > >
                        > >http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html
                        >
                        > Here is some more details on the config, etc.
                        > The OS is Debian 5.x and postfix, dovecot are apt installs.

                        You are still lacking useful (non-verbose) logs. That said, I think
                        the problem is quite obvious:
                        > receive_override_options = no_address_mappings

                        More nitpicks:

                        > postconf -n
                        > ===========
                        snip
                        > local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps

                        Wrong. Why did you do this?

                        > local_transport = virtual

                        Ugly. Why?

                        > receive_override_options = no_address_mappings

                        This should only be used in conjunction with content filtering, on
                        either side of the filter. You don't have a content filter.

                        > show_user_unknown_table_name = no

                        Bad idea.

                        You have numerous settings of defaults. Those should not be in your
                        main.cf. You have numerous settings that I don't think you
                        understood. Why? Leave things at default unless you know why you're
                        changing it.

                        I'd suggest scrapping the whole install and starting over with this
                        guide:
                        http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

                        Why do you need mysql at this point? Why do you need the dovecot
                        transport? Learn to walk before you try to run.

                        > master.cf
                        > =========
                        > smtp inet n - - - - smtpd -v

                        Again. You do NOT need verbose logs. Do NOT use -v here.
                        1. You won't be able to understand them
                        2. Those who do understand them won't be willing to dig through
                        all the noise.

                        Remove the -v here.
                      • Marc L. Veary
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                          On 01/03/2011 15:42, /dev/rob0 wrote:
                          > On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:44:25PM +0000, marc@... wrote:

                          >>> It's in the archives
                          >>>
                          >>> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0011.html
                          >> Here is some more details on the config, etc.
                          >> The OS is Debian 5.x and postfix, dovecot are apt installs.
                          > You are still lacking useful (non-verbose) logs. That said, I think
                          > the problem is quite obvious:
                          >> receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                          > More nitpicks:
                          >
                          >> postconf -n
                          >> ===========
                          > snip
                          >> local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps
                          > Wrong. Why did you do this?
                          >
                          >> local_transport = virtual
                          > Ugly. Why?
                          >
                          >> receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
                          > This should only be used in conjunction with content filtering, on
                          > either side of the filter. You don't have a content filter.
                          >
                          >> show_user_unknown_table_name = no
                          > Bad idea.
                          >
                          > You have numerous settings of defaults. Those should not be in your
                          > main.cf. You have numerous settings that I don't think you
                          > understood. Why? Leave things at default unless you know why you're
                          > changing it.
                          >
                          > I'd suggest scrapping the whole install and starting over with this
                          > guide:
                          > http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
                          >
                          > Why do you need mysql at this point? Why do you need the dovecot
                          > transport? Learn to walk before you try to run.
                          >
                          >> master.cf
                          >> =========
                          >> smtp inet n - - - - smtpd -v
                          > Again. You do NOT need verbose logs. Do NOT use -v here.
                          > 1. You won't be able to understand them
                          > 2. Those who do understand them won't be willing to dig through
                          > all the noise.
                          >
                          > Remove the -v here.
                          I'll take your suggestions on board and have a clean up. Basically, I
                          have been adding configs to try to fix the original issue.

                          Thanks again for the help.
                        • Benny Pedersen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                            On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:55:49 +0000, marc@... wrote:

                            > I have tried all that I can think of to resolve this, but to no
                            > avail...

                            dovecot can be wery powerfull at times, but how did you manage to get
                            passwords working on aliases ? :-)

                            problem you have is to let postfix do alias rewrite before calling dovecot
                            lda (so it only see mailbox)

                            see dovecot wiki on howto configure postfix with lda