Re: sender_canonical_maps not matching

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25 9:50 AM
      On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:07:18AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

      > > > root@redxprdww02:/etc/postfix# grep sender_rewrite main.cf
      > > > sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_rewrite
      > >
      > > Don't waste time with sender_canonical_maps, use either canonical_maps
      > > or smtp_generic_maps if setting myorigin to the desired domain is
      > > not an option.
      >
      > Interesting. smtp_generic_maps would have been my next step. Why do
      > you advocate using canonical_maps over sender_canonical_maps?

      As always, the {sender,recipient}_canonical_maps mechanisms are
      semantically flawed, since "To:" and "Cc:" are recipient headers
      to the sender, but are "sender" headers to the recipient in
      the context of "Reply-All".

      There is no logically sound separation between the two types of addresses,
      rather some addresses are globally valid, or preferred and others are
      site local or obsolete, in both cases canonical or generic mapping is
      the sensible choice.

      > And is smtp_generic_maps preferred over *canonical_maps?

      Yes, when rewriting outbound mail is sufficient and there is not
      a compelling reason to rewrite incoming mail.