Re: Send to other server

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2011
      On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 09:26:59AM +0000, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

      > I have a postfix box which handles some smtp accounts for example.com. Not
      > all example.com accounts are located on this postfix box, but are located
      > elsewhere on another server.
      >
      > At the minute, for the accounts which aren?t on this server, postfix is
      > saying "user unknown in virtual mailbox table" (which is to be expected).
      > However, how do I make postfix go to another server, if at first the
      > account isn't on this server?

      Add virtual aliases:

      main.cf:
      virtual_alias_maps = ${indexed}virtual
      transport_maps = ${indexed}transport

      virtual:
      remote-user@... remote-user@...

      transport:
      # Omit [] if the remote domain is MX-record based
      remote-server.example.com relay:[remote-server.example.com]

      you're done if the remote server can handle the resulting address form.
      If not, you rewrite the address back to the original for en-route:

      main.cf:
      relay_generic_maps = ${indexed}relay_generic

      generic:
      remote-user@... remote-user@...

      master.cf:
      relay unix - - n - - smtp
      -o smtp_fallback_relay=
      -o smtp_generic_maps=${foo_generic_maps}

      The other option is identity mappings in the virtual alias table, and
      per-user transport entries (which I don't recommend since this usually
      forces the transport table into database, but it is best left a local
      indexed file).