Re: Postfix 2.8.1 relayhost configuration problem

  • Bob Proulx
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23 4:07 PM
      Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Bob Proulx:
      > > Today I upgraded a machine from the older 2.7.x series to the latest
      > > 2.8.1 and found a difference. This is from Debian Sid.
      >
      > Please, review the RELEASE_NOTES file and look for the
      > section titled "Major changes - dns lookup.

      Ah! I see it now. I had browsed that file but did not pick that item
      out from the other changes.

      http://postfix.energybeam.com/source/official/postfix-2.8.1.RELEASE_NOTES

      [Incompat 20100827] The Postfix SMTP client no longer appends the
      local domain when looking up a DNS name without ".". Specify
      "smtp_dns_resolver_options = res_defnames" to get the old behavior,
      which may produce unexpected results.

      Very good. It is an intentional change. Thank you for helping me
      find that item. If nothing else this message should help others
      looking at search engines to find it.

      > If this file is not installed please complain to the maintainer.

      That file is included in the stock distribution package. No need for
      any complaints there. However I had actually looked in the pristine
      upstream distribution.

      > I'm sure you will appreciate the great effort that goes
      > into documenting Postfix.

      It is a very large task and one that has been accomplished amazingly
      well.

      Thank you for your time and effort with Postfix!

      Bob