Re: Change error messages returned by Postfix

  • J. Roeleveld
    Message 1 of 51 , Jan 4, 2011
      On Monday 03 January 2011 17:35:51 Wietse Venema wrote:
      > J. Roeleveld:
      > > On Monday 03 January 2011 04:12:46 Wietse Venema wrote:
      > > > Mark Scholten:

      > > > This is not configurable.
      > > >
      > > > Wietse
      > >
      > > Just out of curiosity, why is this not configurable?
      >
      > Postfix source code is "free" for you, but it actually requires
      > real human effort by maintainers, and making all the reject response
      > texts configurable would be a major project.

      I'm not familiar with the source code of postfix, which is why I asked.
      I think if someone really wants this, he/she would need to do most of the work
      and convince you and your colleagues to add the patches to the code.

      > > And would a feature request for this be appreciated?
      >
      > Instead of making every response configurable, a more practical
      > solution is to configure ONE response that gets appended to ALL
      > the SMTP server's reject messages. Effectively, this turns the
      > one-line reject into a two-line response, one chosen by Postfix
      > and one chosen by the system adminstrator.
      >
      > This can be done in the SMTP output routine. It also means that
      >
      > 421 4.4.2 host.example.com Error: timeout exceeded
      >
      > becomes:
      >
      > 421-4.4.2 host.example.com Error: timeout exceeded
      > 421 4.4.2 For assistance, contact the helpdesk at 800-555-0101
      >
      > I wonder how many calls you would actually get for that.

      I'd put a webpage there instead of a number, but not many people actually get
      to see those codes.
      I'm not even sure this full text would appear in the result of "mailq" which
      is the first place I look when I find my emails are not arriving.

      > That said, the likelihood that someone will actually pay attention
      > to the gibberish from SMTP server responses is small. It sounds
      > like something that keeps lawyers happy.

      Which is not necessarily a good thing :)

      --
      Joost

      PS. All the best wishes for 2011 to everyone
      Message 51 of 51 , Jan 7, 2011
        On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 06:54:28PM +0100, mouss wrote:

        > Case 2) your timezone is relatively stable. then put it in main.cf:
        >
        > my_time_zone = ....
        > smtpd_reject_contact_information =
        > blah blah time ($localtime).
        > oh, and our timezone is ${my_time_zone}

        This won't work. Generic main.cf parameters are NOT expanded into
        the contact footer.