postscreen question

  • Christian Roessner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi,

      do you have nearer information on this:

      Jan 1 06:35:00 mx postfix/postscreen[5599]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 07:16:56 mx postfix/postscreen[6289]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 07:19:59 mx postfix/postscreen[7574]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 07:38:25 mx postfix/postscreen[7806]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 07:54:07 mx postfix/postscreen[8171]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 08:23:38 mx postfix/postscreen[8635]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 08:57:49 mx postfix/postscreen[9640]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 09:01:10 mx postfix/postscreen[10697]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 09:16:45 mx postfix/postscreen[10828]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 10:02:22 mx postfix/postscreen[11685]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)
      Jan 1 15:17:14 mx postfix/postscreen[13261]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)

      Good new year

      Christian

      ---
      Roessner-Network-Solutions
      Bachelor of Science Informatik
      Nahrungsberg 81, 35390 Gie├čen
      F: +49 641 5879091, M: +49 176 93118939
      USt-IdNr.: DE225643613
      http://www.roessner-network-solutions.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
        Christian Roessner:
        > Hi,
        >
        > do you have nearer information on this:
        >
        > Jan 1 06:35:00 mx postfix/postscreen[5599]: close database /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory (possible Berkeley DB bug)

        Citing from the Postfix dict_db.c module:

        /*
        * With some Berkeley DB implementations, close fails with a bogus ENOENT
        * error, while it reports no errors with put+sync, no errors with
        * del+sync, and no errors with the sync operation just before this
        * comment. This happens in programs that never fork and that never share
        * the database with other processes. The bogus close error has been
        * reported for programs that use the first/next iterator. Instead of
        * making Postfix look bad because it reports errors that other programs
        * ignore, I'm going to report the bogus error as a non-error.
        */
        if (DICT_DB_CLOSE(dict_db->db) < 0)
        msg_info("close database %s: %m (possible Berkeley DB bug)",
        dict_db->dict.name);

        It this bothers you, think about all the programs that silently
        ignore errors.

        Wietse
      • Lynn Dobbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7 9:58 AM
          I've read the postscreen man page and the "Postfix Postscreen Howto" and
          I'm left with one question.

          Is it possible to limit postscreen to a particular ip:port like smtpd?
          Like this:

          my.public.ip.address:smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd

          The documentation, as far as I can tell, does not explicitly say it can
          be done but gives me the feeling that it can't (shouldn't?) be done. I
          would much rather use postscreen over the greylisting (gld-ng) that I'm
          using now.

          --

          Lynn Dobbs
          Chief Technical Officer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7 10:28 AM
            Lynn Dobbs:
            > I've read the postscreen man page and the "Postfix Postscreen Howto" and
            > I'm left with one question.
            >
            > Is it possible to limit postscreen to a particular ip:port like smtpd?
            > Like this:
            >
            > my.public.ip.address:smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd

            Yes.

            > The documentation, as far as I can tell, does not explicitly say it can
            > be done but gives me the feeling that it can't (shouldn't?) be done. I

            The relevant manpage is master(5).

            Wietse
          • /dev/rob0
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7 10:34 AM
              On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 09:58:12AM -0700, Lynn Dobbs wrote:
              > I've read the postscreen man page and the "Postfix Postscreen
              > Howto" and I'm left with one question.
              >
              > Is it possible to limit postscreen to a particular ip:port like
              > smtpd? Like this:
              >
              > my.public.ip.address:smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd

              Yes, but the first "smtpd" should be a name from services(5), here
              being "smtp" to indicate TCP port 25.

              > The documentation, as far as I can tell, does not explicitly
              > say it can be done but gives me the feeling that it can't
              > (shouldn't?) be done. I would much rather use postscreen over
              > the greylisting (gld-ng) that I'm using now.

              I think the master(5) manual is reasonably explicit in defining the
              fields and how they are used. See "Service name" and "Service type"
              "inet".

              It's probably not that unusual to want postscreen only on one IP
              address. For example, many older sites are still providing MSA
              service on port 25. You definitely do not want to put user MUAs
              through postscreen.