Re: mail(mailutils) appending full host name instead of domain

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
      Steve Pribyl:
      > Afternoon,
      >
      > I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.
      >
      > The mail cli is appending <hostname>.<domain>.com instead of the expected
      > <domain>.com.

      The mail command is not part of Postfix.

      Wietse
    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
        On 12/30/10 10:09 PM, Steve Pribyl wrote:
        > Afternoon,
        >
        > I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.

        Then you can install a null client, such as ssmtp or nullmailer.

        Much easier to configure than full-blown MTA, with none of the inherent
        risks.

        --
        J.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
          On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:00:17PM +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

          > On 12/30/10 10:09 PM, Steve Pribyl wrote:
          >> Afternoon,
          >>
          >> I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.
          >
          > Then you can install a null client, such as ssmtp or nullmailer.
          >
          > Much easier to configure than full-blown MTA, with none of the inherent
          > risks.

          No real "risks" in installing a Postfix null-client, just more rope
          whether you need it or not.

        • Jeroen Geilman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
            On 12/30/10 11:05 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:
            > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:00:17PM +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
            >
            >> On 12/30/10 10:09 PM, Steve Pribyl wrote:
            >>> Afternoon,
            >>>
            >>> I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.
            >> Then you can install a null client, such as ssmtp or nullmailer.
            >>
            >> Much easier to configure than full-blown MTA, with none of the inherent
            >> risks.
            > No real "risks" in installing a Postfix null-client, just more rope
            > whether you need it or not.

            Of course, I was referring more to the "running an MTA that can also
            receive lots of spam when you don't actually want to receive anything" bit.

            He did start out by saying he wants only to send mail, not receive it.

            If he has complex requirements that can't be satisfied by a (usually
            very simple) nullmailer, postfix is a viable choice; I did not mean to
            imply that it isn't.

            --
            J.
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
              On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:55:31AM +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

              > Of course, I was referring more to the "running an MTA that can also
              > receive lots of spam when you don't actually want to receive anything" bit.

              A Postfix null-client does not "receive" any external mail

              master_service_disable = inet
              inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1

              > He did start out by saying he wants only to send mail, not receive it.

              That's what Postfix null-clients do.

              > If he has complex requirements that can't be satisfied by a (usually very
              > simple) nullmailer, postfix is a viable choice; I did not mean to imply
              > that it isn't.

              The extra rope provides reliable queue management, sensible recovery when
              the remote MTA comes back up, SASL authentication, customizable rewriting
              of locally generated mail from root, and other system accounts, ...

              In a large corporate environment, a more capable null-client is handy. For
              a very small shop, this may not be useful.

              I would not recommend any locally queueing MTA on a laptop where
              conserving battery power is a priority, there MUAs such as Thunderbird,
              that submit directly to a central MSA make more sense.