Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: mail(mailutils) appending full host name instead of domain

Expand Messages
  • Victor Duchovni
    ... http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#quick -- Viktor.
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 03:09:07PM -0600, Steve Pribyl wrote:

      > $ mail <user>
      > <blah>
      >
      > Sends mail to the local host instead of the domain.
      >
      > What have I missed.

      http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin
      http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#quick

      --
      Viktor.
    • Wietse Venema
      ... The mail command is not part of Postfix. Wietse
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        Steve Pribyl:
        > Afternoon,
        >
        > I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.
        >
        > The mail cli is appending <hostname>.<domain>.com instead of the expected
        > <domain>.com.

        The mail command is not part of Postfix.

        Wietse
      • Jeroen Geilman
        ... Then you can install a null client, such as ssmtp or nullmailer. Much easier to configure than full-blown MTA, with none of the inherent risks. -- J.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          On 12/30/10 10:09 PM, Steve Pribyl wrote:
          > Afternoon,
          >
          > I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.

          Then you can install a null client, such as ssmtp or nullmailer.

          Much easier to configure than full-blown MTA, with none of the inherent
          risks.

          --
          J.
        • Victor Duchovni
          ... No real risks in installing a Postfix null-client, just more rope whether you need it or not. -- Viktor.
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:00:17PM +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

            > On 12/30/10 10:09 PM, Steve Pribyl wrote:
            >> Afternoon,
            >>
            >> I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.
            >
            > Then you can install a null client, such as ssmtp or nullmailer.
            >
            > Much easier to configure than full-blown MTA, with none of the inherent
            > risks.

            No real "risks" in installing a Postfix null-client, just more rope
            whether you need it or not.

            --
            Viktor.
          • Jeroen Geilman
            ... Of course, I was referring more to the running an MTA that can also receive lots of spam when you don t actually want to receive anything bit. He did
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              On 12/30/10 11:05 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:
              > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:00:17PM +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
              >
              >> On 12/30/10 10:09 PM, Steve Pribyl wrote:
              >>> Afternoon,
              >>>
              >>> I am trying to setup a null or satellite client on debian system.
              >> Then you can install a null client, such as ssmtp or nullmailer.
              >>
              >> Much easier to configure than full-blown MTA, with none of the inherent
              >> risks.
              > No real "risks" in installing a Postfix null-client, just more rope
              > whether you need it or not.
              >

              Of course, I was referring more to the "running an MTA that can also
              receive lots of spam when you don't actually want to receive anything" bit.

              He did start out by saying he wants only to send mail, not receive it.

              If he has complex requirements that can't be satisfied by a (usually
              very simple) nullmailer, postfix is a viable choice; I did not mean to
              imply that it isn't.

              --
              J.
            • Victor Duchovni
              ... A Postfix null-client does not receive any external mail master_service_disable = inet inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 ... That s what Postfix null-clients
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:55:31AM +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

                > Of course, I was referring more to the "running an MTA that can also
                > receive lots of spam when you don't actually want to receive anything" bit.

                A Postfix null-client does not "receive" any external mail

                master_service_disable = inet
                inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1

                > He did start out by saying he wants only to send mail, not receive it.

                That's what Postfix null-clients do.

                > If he has complex requirements that can't be satisfied by a (usually very
                > simple) nullmailer, postfix is a viable choice; I did not mean to imply
                > that it isn't.

                The extra rope provides reliable queue management, sensible recovery when
                the remote MTA comes back up, SASL authentication, customizable rewriting
                of locally generated mail from root, and other system accounts, ...

                In a large corporate environment, a more capable null-client is handy. For
                a very small shop, this may not be useful.

                I would not recommend any locally queueing MTA on a laptop where
                conserving battery power is a priority, there MUAs such as Thunderbird,
                that submit directly to a central MSA make more sense.

                --
                Viktor.
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.