Re: Backup Mailserver

  • Michael Orlitzky
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
      On 12/02/2010 11:15 PM, Ramesh wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have configured backup server, which is working as expected when
      > ever primary not reachable mail are queued in back Mail server, later
      > pushes to primary mail server.
      >
      > I would like to know, how to make backup to primary mail server, in
      > case primary is down due to major issues. so that all mail clients
      > send and receive from backup mail server.
      >
      > appreciate suggestion.

      "Primary" and "backup" are a fiction. What makes your primary server
      "primary?" You can probably come up with a list:

      * It's listening on the IP addresses to which your MX records point
      * It isn't configured to forward anywhere
      * It allows SASL authentication
      * ...

      You should make such a list; when you're done, title it, "things I need
      to do to the backup server to make it the primary."