No bounce messages when a milter is enabled

  • Jeff Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi,

      I'm writing a milter and I'm having a problem where bounce messages
      don't seem to be generated. The milter can change who the recipient of
      the e-mail is and if Postfix tries to send to that e-mail address and it
      is rejected by the remote server, there never seems to be a bounce
      message generated.

      Does anyone know why that might be?

      If I disable the milter and try to send to that same e-mail address, I
      get a bounce.

      Thanks,
      Jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
        On 12/1/2010 7:52 AM, Jeff Fisher wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm writing a milter and I'm having a problem where bounce
        > messages don't seem to be generated. The milter can change who
        > the recipient of the e-mail is and if Postfix tries to send to
        > that e-mail address and it is rejected by the remote server,
        > there never seems to be a bounce message generated.
        >
        > Does anyone know why that might be?
        >
        > If I disable the milter and try to send to that same e-mail
        > address, I get a bounce.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jeff

        This is already fixed in recent snapshots and will be included
        in postfix 2.8 when it's released.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
          Noel Jones:
          > On 12/1/2010 7:52 AM, Jeff Fisher wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm writing a milter and I'm having a problem where bounce
          > > messages don't seem to be generated. The milter can change who
          > > the recipient of the e-mail is and if Postfix tries to send to
          > > that e-mail address and it is rejected by the remote server,
          > > there never seems to be a bounce message generated.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know why that might be?
          > >
          > > If I disable the milter and try to send to that same e-mail
          > > address, I get a bounce.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jeff
          > >

          > This is already fixed in recent snapshots and will be included
          > in postfix 2.8 when it's released.

          It is a simple compatibility fix that should be included with the
          stable 2.4..2.7 releases. Stable releases happen with several months
          between so that will take us to the time of the Postfix 2.8 release.

          It would be nice if someone can confirm that the Postfix 2.8 change
          actually fixes the problem as expected. I can only do limited tests,
          with a hand-crafted milter driver.