Re: Some question about RFC2920 Frontbridge problem

  • Robert Schetterer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      Am 01.12.2010 10:08, schrieb lst_hoe02@...:
      > Hello
      >
      > the workaround listed at http://www.postfix.org/workarounds.html does
      > include the following:
      >
      > Disable SMTP command pipelining for all mail. This sledgehammer solution
      > will reduce performance for all outbound mail, by causing extra network
      > round-trip times.
      >
      > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
      > smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords = silent-discard pipelining
      >
      > It should also be possible to only do "-o
      > smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords=pipelining" in master.cf for the entry used
      > for SAV, no?
      >
      > BTW: The problem also apply for mail to microsoft.com, not only for
      > frontbridge customer.
      >

      > Regards
      >
      > Andreas

      Hi Andreas,

      but the problem seems only to apear if you use
      sender verify which isnt a "must have" in my eyes
      sender verify may be usefull in some cases but might lead to trouble
      elsewhere too, cause some servers might not like to get probed by faked
      addresses

      http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html

      Some sites may blacklist you when you are probing them too often (a
      probe is an SMTP session that does not deliver mail), or when you are
      probing them too often for a non-existent address. This is one reason
      why you should use sender address verification sparingly, if at all,
      when your site receives lots of email.

      --
      Best Regards

      MfG Robert Schetterer

      Germany/Munich/Bavaria
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        On 12/1/2010 3:08 AM, lst_hoe02@... wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > the workaround listed at
        > http://www.postfix.org/workarounds.html does include the
        > following:
        >
        > Disable SMTP command pipelining for all mail. This
        > sledgehammer solution will reduce performance for all outbound
        > mail, by causing extra network round-trip times.
        >
        > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        > smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords = silent-discard pipelining
        >
        > It should also be possible to only do "-o
        > smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords=pipelining" in master.cf for the
        > entry used for SAV, no?

        Yes, I've been using something similar to this for a while, so
        it should work.

        Address verification normally uses the default smtp transport.
        You would clone the smtp transport with added options, and set
        address_verify_default_transport to use the new transport.

        Something like:
        # master.cf
        smtp_sav unix - - n - - smtp
        -o smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords=$no_pipelining

        # main.cf
        address_verify_default_transport = smtp_sav
        no_pipelining = silent-discard pipelining

        -- Noel Jones
      • Michael J Wise
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
          On Dec 1, 2010, at 1:08 AM, lst_hoe02@... wrote:

          > BTW: The problem also apply for mail to microsoft.com, not only for frontbridge customer.

          Check the IP addresses... :)
          mail.messaging.microsoft.com == mail.global.frontbridge.com, plus a number of others.

          Aloha,
          Michael.
          --
          "Please have your Internet License http://kapu.net/~mjwise/