suggestion for hardware specs, postfix +mailstore

  • aio shin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
      forwarding my message.

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: aio shin <aioshin@...>
      Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:36:19 +0800
      Subject: suggestion for hardware specs, postfix +mailstore
      To: postfix-users@...

      hi, i would like your opinion on what would be the minimum requirement
      if anyone of you would build a mailserver, postfix + mailstore, basing
      on availability of todays hardware, thus expected users may reach the
      number of up to 2000 and with a current users dir of 2tb all. Or if
      not, can someone point me on how to compute based on given data for a
      minimum server specs. Thanks
    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
        On 11/02/2010 02:42 PM, aio shin wrote:
        > forwarding my message.

        From where ? Your own postfix-users mailing list ?
        Weird.

        > hi, i would like your opinion on what would be the minimum requirement

        Completely dependent on your circumstances.

        > if anyone of you would build a mailserver, postfix + mailstore, basing
        > on availability of todays hardware,
        Postfix doesn't need absurd hardware.
        A decent dualcore machine can handle just about anything you can throw
        at it - that is, in your situation.
        I deduce that your situation is < 1 million message per hour, since you
        clearly haven't done this before.

        > thus expected users may reach the number of up to 2000 and with a current users dir of 2tb all.
        So that's 1GB per user ?
        Get 4 or more disk drives and put them in RAID-10 on a hardware controller.
        You'll also have to learn a lot about IMAP, maildirs, and message access
        in general.

        > Or if not, can someone point me on how to compute based on given data for a
        > minimum server specs. Thanks

        You say nothing about expected mail loads, peak speed, or spam inspection.
        Or network capabilities.
        Or availability requirements.

        If you are serious about running a mail server for end-users, get at
        least 2.

        Multiple MXen are a standard feature of SMTP, and a backend mailstore
        can be split up by users.

        That way, if one goes down, the other will store its half of messages
        and queue the rest until you have the second one back up.

        --
        J.