RE: postfix clustering

  • Mark Scholten
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2010

      It sounds interesting, however from a system administrator point of view it
      shouldn't be really difficult to create with the current tools. With some
      custom scripts I think it should be possible to do it with current tools,
      the most difficult part is messages that get deleted from the file system
      (pop3/imap) I guess.

      I can set it up later this year in a test environment and publish my
      findings about it. If this is interesting for others to know please mention
      it and I'll test it and publish it.

      Regards, Mark
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2010
        -
        > > Hi Stan,
        > >
        > >> 1.  What are your specific failure concerns
        > with your
        > >> primary site?
        > >> Network failure?  Host failure?  Storage
        > hardware
        > >> failure?
        > >
        > > You have a great suggestion assuming the data center
        > functions well.
        > >
        > > the data center primary site failure means that the
        > data center
        > > itself failed, meaning the host
        > machine/storage/network are all in-accessible.
        >
        > You seem to be looking at this from a macro point of
        > view.  For an
        > entire datacenter to "fail" you're looking at something
        > like a natural
        > disaster (hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, lightning)
        > destroying
        > the facility, or all power and comm lines into it.
        > The probability of
        > these things is very low, assuming the datacenter was
        > located, designed,
        > and constructed properly.

        I am a little surprised about your common sense for the data protection.

        obviously, you never heard of data center on fire that wipes out
        all servers or all servers were down for 3 or more days.

        Just a quick google search and there are so many data centers related
        issue reported in the past.

        http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200823/1124/The-Planet-Outage-%E2%80%93-H1-Datacenter-suffers-fire-and-explosion-Update-1

        http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/07/Why_the_Seattle_data_center_fire_caught_companies_unprepared49978502.html

        http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/03/31/fire-destroys-wisconsin-data-center/

        http://www.intology.com/computers-internet/us-data-center-catches-fire-9000-servers-down/

        http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340505

        anyway, thanks for your other suggestions.

        Peter
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2010
          > > Interesting.  This is a _huge_ leap in capability
          > for any IMAP server
          > > I'm aware of.  Yet, entering either "replication"
          > or "cluster" in the
          > > Cyrus home page search box returns zero results.
          > When will these
          > > features be released as production ready?  Right
          > now it appears they
          > > are
          > > vaporware.
          >
          > It sounds interesting, however from a system administrator
          > point of view it
          > shouldn't be really difficult to create with the current
          > tools. With some
          > custom scripts I think it should be possible to do it with
          > current tools,
          > the most difficult part is messages that get deleted from
          > the file system
          > (pop3/imap) I guess.
          >
          > I can set it up later this year in a test environment and
          > publish my
          > findings about it. If this is interesting for others to
          > know please mention
          > it and I'll test it and publish it.

          it is great if you can create a blog to share.

          Thanks,

          Peter