Postgrey and RBL checks

  • Patric Falinder
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2010
      I just set up Postgrey yesterday and it works just fine.
      One thing that got me thinking though was that if I have greylisting
      check Before reject_rbl_client, shouldn't the rbl check be skipped if
      the IP get's greylisted and Then checked with rbl when/if it passes the
      greylisting? Or am I thinking wrong here?

      Oct 27 08:27:41 sexan postgrey[4972]: action=greylist, reason=new,
      client_name=unknown, client_address=94.156.4.107,
      sender=vazquezyit0@..., recipient=user@...
      Oct 27 08:27:41 sexan postfix/smtpd[4835]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
      unknown[94.156.4.107]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
      [94.156.4.107] blocked using rbl.list1.com;
      http://www.rbl.list1.com/query/bl?ip=94.156.4.107;
      from=<vazquezyit0@...> to=<user@...> proto=ESMTP
      helo=<SENSBDV>

      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
      permit_mynetworks,
      permit_sasl_authenticated,
      reject_unauth_destination,
      reject_non_fqdn_sender,
      reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
      reject_unauth_pipelining,
      reject_invalid_hostname,
      reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
      reject_unverified_recipient,
      check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:60000,
      reject_rbl_client rbl.list1.com,
      reject_rbl_client rbl.list2.com

      Thanks,
      -Patric
    • Henrik K
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2010
        On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 08:45:56AM +0200, Patric Falinder wrote:
        > I just set up Postgrey yesterday and it works just fine.
        > One thing that got me thinking though was that if I have greylisting
        > check Before reject_rbl_client, shouldn't the rbl check be skipped
        > if the IP get's greylisted and Then checked with rbl when/if it
        > passes the greylisting? Or am I thinking wrong here?

        Use --greylist-action=450 or so.

        "To set the action to be returned to postfix when a message fails
        postgrey's tests and should be deferred, use the
        --greylist-action=ACTION option.

        By default, postgrey returns DEFER_IF_PERMIT, which causes postfix to
        check the rest of the restrictions and defer the message only if it
        would otherwise be accepted. A delay action of 451 causes postfix to
        always defer the message with an SMTP reply code of 451 (temp fail)."
      • Patric Falinder
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2010
          Henrik K skrev 2010-10-27 08:52:
          > On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 08:45:56AM +0200, Patric Falinder wrote:
          >> I just set up Postgrey yesterday and it works just fine.
          >> One thing that got me thinking though was that if I have greylisting
          >> check Before reject_rbl_client, shouldn't the rbl check be skipped
          >> if the IP get's greylisted and Then checked with rbl when/if it
          >> passes the greylisting? Or am I thinking wrong here?
          >
          > Use --greylist-action=450 or so.
          >
          > "To set the action to be returned to postfix when a message fails
          > postgrey's tests and should be deferred, use the
          > --greylist-action=ACTION option.
          >
          > By default, postgrey returns DEFER_IF_PERMIT, which causes postfix to
          > check the rest of the restrictions and defer the message only if it
          > would otherwise be accepted. A delay action of 451 causes postfix to
          > always defer the message with an SMTP reply code of 451 (temp fail)."

          ah, thanks a lot for the quick answer! Will check it out :)

          Thanks,
          -Patric