smtp out

  • K bharathan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
      hi all
      i'd like to put a smarthost using postfix; what are the min.precautions i shud put in? i've heard controls on outgoing mails are not that easily effective unlike the controls on incoming mails; also i plan to use SA and Amavis; appreciate valuable suggestions on this
      ty
      -bharathan

    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2010
        On 10/04/2010 10:30 PM, K bharathan wrote:
        > hi all
        > i'd like to put a smarthost using postfix; what are the
        > min.precautions i shud put in? i've heard controls on outgoing mails
        > are not that easily effective unlike the controls on incoming mails;
        > also i plan to use SA and Amavis; appreciate valuable suggestions on this
        > ty
        > -bharathan

        You want to run spamassassin and amavisd-new on relayed mail ?

        I think you need a bigger box...

        Seriously, everything depends on who is allowed to use the box as a
        relay, and under what conditions.

        --
        J.
      • Eero Volotinen
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2010
          2010/10/6 Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@...>:
          > On 10/04/2010 10:30 PM, K bharathan wrote:
          >>
          >> hi all
          >> i'd like to put a smarthost using postfix; what are the min.precautions i
          >> shud put in? i've heard controls on outgoing mails are not that easily
          >> effective unlike the controls on incoming mails; also i plan to use SA and
          >> Amavis; appreciate valuable suggestions on this
          >> ty
          >> -bharathan
          >>

          > You want to run spamassassin and amavisd-new on relayed mail ?
          >
          > I think you need a bigger box...
          >
          > Seriously, everything depends on who is allowed to use the box as a relay,
          > and under what conditions.

          Also remember that encryption (ssl) also eats some cpu time.

          Anyway.. cpu speed is nowdays very cheap..

          --
          Eero