Installation Error

  • jason hirsh
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
      I am doing an installation on a new FreeBSD 8.1 box and it fail with

      postfix: warning: valid_hostname: invalid character 32(decimal):
      my.domain-server.com

      Bind is up .. the server name is correct..

      I have issued this on my previous server (which this is to replace)
      and didn't have a problem as I remember my installation

      any thoughts??
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
        * jason hirsh <hirshj@...>:
        > I am doing an installation on a new FreeBSD 8.1 box and it fail with
        >

        > postfix: warning: valid_hostname: invalid character 32(decimal):
        > my.domain-server.com

        remove the trailing or leading space
        from "my.domain-server.com " or " my.domain-server.com"

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt
        Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
          On Oct 2, 2010, at 3:56 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

          > * jason hirsh <hirshj@...>:
          >> I am doing an installation on a new FreeBSD 8.1 box and it fail
          >> with
          >>

          >> postfix: warning: valid_hostname: invalid character 32(decimal):
          >> my.domain-server.com
          >
          > remove the trailing or leading space
          > from "my.domain-server.com " or " my.domain-server.com"

          I missed that

          edit and corrected rc.conf
          reboot and installation went fine

          thanks for you quick response

          > --
          > Ralf Hildebrandt
          > Geschäftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk
          > Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
          > Campus Benjamin Franklin
          > Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
          > Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
          > ralf.hildebrandt@... | http://www.charite.de

        • jason hirsh
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
            the change to the rc.conf doesn't apparently take effect until you
            reboot.. there might be another way but i am a bit of a newbie
            On Oct 2, 2010, at 4:42 PM, joe wrote:

            > You rebooted to change the hostname???
            >
            > Joe
            >
            > On 10/02/2010 01:13 PM, jason hirsh wrote:

            >>> remove the trailing or leading space
            >>> from "my.domain-server.com " or " my.domain-server.com"
            >>
            >> I missed that
            >>
            >> edit and corrected rc.conf
            >> reboot and installation went fine
            >>
            >> thanks for you quick response
            >>

            >>> --
            >>> Ralf Hildebrandt
            >>> Geschäftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk
            >>> Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
            >>> Campus Benjamin Franklin
            >>> Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
            >>> Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
            >>> ralf.hildebrandt@... | http://www.charite.de

          • Eugene V. Boontseff
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
              On 03.10.2010 03:06, jason hirsh wrote:
              > the change to the rc.conf doesn't apparently take effect until you
              > reboot.. there might be another way but i am a bit of a newbie
              man hostname
              > On Oct 2, 2010, at 4:42 PM, joe wrote:
              >
              >> You rebooted to change the hostname???
              >>
              >> Joe

              >>> I missed that
              >>>
              >>> edit and corrected rc.conf
              >>> reboot and installation went fine
              >>>
              >>> thanks for you quick response

            • joe
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
                No worries -

                Rebooting will indeed run through the items rc.conf, but in general you
                can run any of those commands at any time. You can change the host name
                with the "hostname" command and it takes effect immediately. Restart
                syslog as well if you want the new host name to appear in the log files.

                Joe