Re: Greylisting or not ?

  • lst_hoe02@kwsoft.de
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
      Zitat von Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet@...>:

      > Hello
      >
      > I actually use postgrey as greylisting utility
      >
      > I have no experience with other greylisting softwares
      > but Postfix "gurus" advice would be greatly appreciated
      > to compare and eventually change for another software.

      We also use Postgrey

      Works stable and as expected and saved us from blocking dynamic IPs per RBLs.

      What is always recommended:
      - Use auto-whitelist=1 and a very long purge delay for the client list
      - Use more than some seconds as greylist delay

      Regards

      Andreas
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
        On 10/1/2010 8:43 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > I actually use postgrey as greylisting utility
        >
        > I have no experience with other greylisting softwares
        > but Postfix "gurus" advice would be greatly appreciated
        > to compare and eventually change for another software.
        >
        > Thanks a lot

        What you use depends greatly on what your needs and
        expectations are.

        I don't know of any "bad" greylisting software, but some of
        the choices may be inappropriate for particular sites (eg. too
        simple for a large multi-MX site, too complex for a home/hobby
        site with an inexperienced admin).

        What are you looking for? Some feature that postgrey doesn't
        seem to support?

        If you don't have any problem with postgrey, no need to
        change. If you just want to experiment, pick something and
        try it out.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Len Conrad
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
          =>I actually use postgrey as greylisting utility

          >I have no experience with other greylisting softwares
          >but Postfix "gurus" advice would be greatly appreciated
          >to compare and eventually change for another software.

          postgrey and its fork sqlgrey are pretty much optimum. I think changing to something else won't buy you much if any improvement.

          I have one high volume site, 200K+ msgs/day accepted per MX, with SQLgrey on 3 MXs where the:

          (new but retried) / (total new)

          is less that 2%.

          Len