smtp defer messages on smtp-auth error

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
      One of our postfix servers relays outbound mails to a relay provider
      using smtpauth.
      There have been some issues that sporadically the relay providers
      database returns auth-failure for valid accounts and the mail bounces.

      I know they have to fix the issue at their database end , but can I
      configure my postfix to defer mails if authentication fails , rather
      then bouncing them. For any other rejection , obviously, the mail has
      to be bounced back.

      Thanks
      Ram
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
        Ram:
        > One of our postfix servers relays outbound mails to a relay provider
        > using smtpauth.
        > There have been some issues that sporadically the relay providers
        > database returns auth-failure for valid accounts and the mail bounces.
        >
        > I know they have to fix the issue at their database end , but can I
        > configure my postfix to defer mails if authentication fails , rather
        > then bouncing them. For any other rejection , obviously, the mail has
        > to be bounced back.

        See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_reply_filter

        A rule like this might do the job.

        /^535 text from ISP here/ 435 Authentication failed