Postfix Message ID process

  • Morten P.D. Stevens
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
      Hi all,

      a small question regard to the postfix message id process.

      Every message has a unique ID provided by the postfix messaging process.

      Some messages have a 11 characters message id and other a 12 characters message ID although our servers all running exactly the same postfix version. (Version: 2.3.3 Release: 2.1.el5_2)

      What's the reason for this difference?

      Thanks.

      Best regards,

      Morten
    • brian moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010

        http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0208/0447.html
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
          Morten P.D. Stevens:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > a small question regard to the postfix message id process.
          >
          > Every message has a unique ID provided by the postfix messaging process.

          The queue file name is only unique while the message is stored in
          the queue. Once the message is delivered the queue file name can
          be used for a different message.

          > Some messages have a 11 characters message id and other a 12 characters message ID although our servers all running exactly the same postfix version. (Version: 2.3.3 Release: 2.1.el5_2)
          >
          > What's the reason for this difference?

          The queue file name contains time information (which is the same
          on different machines) and the file inode number, which depends on
          what else is in the file system.

          Wietse
        • Morten P.D. Stevens
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010