Question about check_sender_mx_access

  • Wolfgang Zeikat
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2010
      Various sender domains use MX records like mail.spam.domain that point
      to an IP that has a DSL PTR record, like 123-345-78-9.dsl.some.provid.er

      Can I catch those using a table entry like
      /\.dsl\.some\.provid\.er$/ result
      ?

      Or would I have to use their IP or their A record, e.g. mail.spam.domain?

      Regards,

      wolfgang
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2010
        On 8/5/2010 7:05 AM, Wolfgang Zeikat wrote:
        > Various sender domains use MX records like mail.spam.domain
        > that point to an IP that has a DSL PTR record, like
        > 123-345-78-9.dsl.some.provid.er
        >
        > Can I catch those using a table entry like
        > /\.dsl\.some\.provid\.er$/ result
        > ?
        >
        > Or would I have to use their IP or their A record, e.g.
        > mail.spam.domain?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > wolfgang

        check_sender_mx_access can match the MX records, which should
        be a name, and the IP(s) that name resolves to; multiple
        results are processed in pseudo-random order. Postfix does
        not attempt to reverse-resolve the IP to a hostname.

        So, if the spammer lists 2-2-3-1.dsl.some.provid.er as an MX
        record, postfix can match it. If the spammer lists
        mail.spammer.com as the MX, and that IP belongs to a dsl,
        postfix can only match that by IP, not the name.