RE: System Command on Client Restriction Rejection

  • Dudi Goldenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
      >Is it possible to execute a system command upon the following smtpd
      client
      >restriction rejections?
      >
      >smtpd_client_restrictions =
      >reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
      > reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
      > reject_unknown_client_hostname
      >
      >Would like to automate insertion of client IP address into IP Tables
      >firewall rule.

      Take a look at fail2ban,
      http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

      D.
    • JunkYardMail1@Verizon.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2010
        Already have a home grown log scrapper dynamically managing (add/remove)
        firewall rules and love the results.
        Not only have bad behaving bots disappeared but there seems to be fewer spam
        attempts for unique clients as well. Leaving log files much less cluttered
        and much smaller. When I say disappeared, I mean they don't even bother
        hitting the firewall anymore. It's a thing of beauty.

        Was hoping though that Postfix would have means of initiating action (a
        system command) upon client restrictions results. That would be a preferred
        method rather than periodically scraping logs.

        I figure if they are just going to get blocked by an RBL anyway, why not
        stick them in an SMTP_RBL firewall and keep them out of the logs. A thing
        of beauty.

        fail2ban does look like good tool though. If didn't already have home grown
        solution would give it a whirl.