Forcing an address to soft bounce

  • Srdan Dukic
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hi,

      I've got an email server which I use for testing various setups. I am now trying to get this server to soft bounce all mail for a particular address e.g. 'softbounce@...'. I am doing this to test whether the sending server is handling and reporting the soft bounces properly.

      How can I set this up?

      I am aware of the 'soft_bounce' parameter in the config, but from what I can tell it's not address-specific.

      Thank you
      --
      Srđan Đukić
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
        On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 02:46:38PM +1200, Srdan Dukic wrote:
        > I've got an email server which I use for testing various setups.
        > I am now trying to get this server to soft bounce all mail for a
        > particular address e.g. 'softbounce@...'. I am doing this

        $config_directory/main.cf :
        smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_recipient_access
        hash:$config_directory/softbounce
        [ ... ]
        # You do need the rest of your smtpd_recipient_restrictions

        $config_directory/softbounce :
        softbounce@... DEFER your reject message here

        If you're using a version older than 2.6, DEFER_IF_PERMIT should
        work, as the action. Or in any 2.3 or later, which is to say, any
        supported version of Postfix, you can use a custom 4xx error code.

        See $html_directory/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictions
        and $html_directory/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html
        and $html_directory/access.5.html
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 11:12 AM
          Srdan Dukic:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've got an email server which I use for testing various setups. I am now
          > trying to get this server to soft bounce all mail for a particular address
          > e.g. 'softbounce@...'. I am doing this to test whether the sending
          > server is handling and reporting the soft bounces properly.
          >
          > How can I set this up?

          /etc/postfix/main.cf

          /etc/postfix/transport:
          user@... error:4.7.1 Your text here