set a catch-all for users that not exists in database

  • David Touzeau
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
      Dear

      I would like to redirect messages that recipient are not listed in
      aliases to a single mailbox

      have set

      virtual_alias_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

      users1@... users1@...
      users2@... users2@...
      users3@... users3@...
      @... noexistant@...

      is there is way to do this ?

      Best regards
    • Ansgar Wiechers
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
        On 2010-06-30 David Touzeau wrote:
        > I would like to redirect messages that recipient are not listed in
        > aliases to a single mailbox
        >
        > have set
        >
        > virtual_alias_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
        >
        > users1@... users1@...
        > users2@... users2@...
        > users3@... users3@...
        > @... noexistant@...
        >
        > is there is way to do this ?

        The above should do what you want, provided that noexistant is an
        existing mailbox.

        If it doesn't work: please supply the output of "postconf -n" and a log
        excerpt demonstrating the problem.

        Regards
        Ansgar Wiechers
        --Joel Spolsky
      • Charles Marcus
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
          On 2010-06-30 10:00 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
          > On 2010-06-30 David Touzeau wrote:
          >> I would like to redirect messages that recipient are not listed in
          >> aliases to a single mailbox
          >>
          >> have set
          >>
          >> virtual_alias_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
          >>
          >> users1@... users1@...
          >> users2@... users2@...
          >> users3@... users3@...
          >> @... noexistant@...
          >>
          >> is there is way to do this ?

          > The above should do what you want, provided that noexistant is an
          > existing mailbox.

          But of course, there is generally no good reason to do this, and it
          totally breaks recipient validation so should never be done without a
          *very* good reason.

          --

          Best regards,

          Charles
        • Ansgar Wiechers
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010

            >>> users2@... users2@...
            >>> users3@... users3@...
            >>> @... noexistant@...
            >>>
            >>> is there is way to do this ?
            >
            > > The above should do what you want, provided that noexistant is an
            > > existing mailbox.
            >
            > But of course, there is generally no good reason to do this, and it
            > totally breaks recipient validation so should never be done without a
            > *very* good reason.

            Indeed, I should've mentioned that implementing catch-all usually is not
            a good idea.

            Regards
            Ansgar Wiechers
            --Joel Spolsky
          • David Touzeau
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
              dear I know this is not a good idea but this is for an internal server
              in order to auto-create mailboxes.
              A script parse the catch-all mailbox and create the appropriate mailbox

              THe behavior is when i send mail to users1@... the catch-all
              take the hand and all mails are transfered to it noexistant@...

              so i have 2 choices :

              enable catch-all but all mail going trough the catch-all mailbox

              disable catch-all and forgot the script...

              On 30/06/2010 16:11, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
              > On 2010-06-30 Charles Marcus wrote:

              >>> The above should do what you want, provided that noexistant is an
              >>> existing mailbox.
              >>
              >> But of course, there is generally no good reason to do this, and it
              >> totally breaks recipient validation so should never be done without a
              >> *very* good reason.
              >
              > Indeed, I should've mentioned that implementing catch-all usually is not
              > a good idea.
              >
              > Regards
              > Ansgar Wiechers
            • Charles Marcus
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
                On 2010-06-30 6:07 PM, David Touzeau wrote:
                > dear I know this is not a good idea but this is for an internal server
                > in order to auto-create mailboxes.
                > A script parse the catch-all mailbox and create the appropriate mailbox

                I have to ask... why? What is the purpose of creating these mailboxes?

                --

                Best regards,

                Charles
              • Markus Schönhaber
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                  01.07.2010 00:07, David Touzeau:

                  > dear I know this is not a good idea but this is for an internal server
                  > in order to auto-create mailboxes.
                  > A script parse the catch-all mailbox and create the appropriate mailbox
                  >
                  > THe behavior is when i send mail to users1@... the catch-all
                  > take the hand and all mails are transfered to it noexistant@...

                  Which then creates the users1@... mailbox?
                  If so, and if I understand correctly, after users1@... was
                  created and someone wants to send a mail to this new account but
                  mis-types the address, for example user1@..., the (potential)
                  recipient won't get the message but rather the account user1@...
                  will be created. Moreover, the sender won't be notified that he sent
                  mail to a non-existent address.

                  > so i have 2 choices :
                  >
                  > enable catch-all but all mail going trough the catch-all mailbox
                  >
                  > disable catch-all and forgot the script...

                  No, you have more choices. Among them are

                  3. Instead of a catch-all, use a single fixed account for sending
                  mailbox creation requests to in combination with + addressing.
                  For example, use createmb@... as the account requests are sent
                  to, and, if you want to create the users1@... account, send a
                  mail to createmb+users1@....

                  4. Choose from the many mail management solutions that already exist.

                  --
                  Regards
                  mks
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                    Thanks for this information markus

                    I would like to know if for this kind of virtual maps

                    users1@... users1@...
                    users2@... users2@...
                    users3@... users3@...
                    @... noexistant@...

                    when i send an email to users1@... postfix send to
                    noexistant@...

                    when i send an email to users2@... postfix send to
                    noexistant@...

                    when i send an email to users3@... postfix send to
                    noexistant@...

                    when i send an email to anonymous@... postfix send to
                    noexistant@...

                    is it a normal behavior that postfix send all mails to catch-all even
                    the email address is existent in the hash table ?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                      01.07.2010 10:49, David Touzeau:

                      > I would like to know if for this kind of virtual maps
                      >
                      > users1@... users1@...
                      > users2@... users2@...
                      > users3@... users3@...
                      > @... noexistant@...
                      >
                      > when i send an email to users1@... postfix send to
                      > noexistant@...
                      >
                      > when i send an email to users2@... postfix send to
                      > noexistant@...
                      >
                      > when i send an email to users3@... postfix send to
                      > noexistant@...
                      >
                      > when i send an email to anonymous@... postfix send to
                      > noexistant@...
                      >
                      > is it a normal behavior that postfix send all mails to catch-all even
                      > the email address is existent in the hash table ?

                      No. Look at
                      man 5 virtual

                      Did you postmap the table?
                      If you did, provide the output of
                      postconf -n
                      Otherwise it's hard to tell what is wrong.

                      Nevertheless, I'd strongly recommend that you get rid of the catch-all.

                      --
                      Regards
                      mks
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                        On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:39 AM, David Touzeau <david@...> wrote:
                        > Dear
                        >
                        > I would like to redirect messages that recipient are not listed in aliases
                        > to a single mailbox
                        >
                        > have set
                        >
                        > virtual_alias_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                        >
                        > users1@... users1@...
                        > users2@... users2@...
                        > users3@... users3@...
                        > @... noexistant@...
                        >
                        > is there is way to do this ?

                        Maybe that's not what you want but look into regex map; it's
                        documented properly.
                        I use that map in a QC machine which must not send any outgoing emails
                        to any domains.
                        (Only local port is open FYI)

                        From memory that map looks sthing like

                        virtual domain map:

                        /(.*)/ :ACCEPT

                        virtual mailbox map:

                        /(.*)/ :mailtrap
                      • Datatronics Gmail
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                          Hello Everyone, i´m going to make it quick,

                          We are receiving a lot of errors from the Queue of postfix, and emails are
                          not going out, we are getting this error:

                          host mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.188.72] said: 451 Couldn't open temporary file

                          We have also seen that we have been marked as a blacklist in this is:

                          http://www.uceprotect.net

                          does it have anything to do with it?

                          Thanks a lot in advance.
                        • David Touzeau
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                            here it is the main.cf

                            2bounce_notice_recipient = postmaster
                            address_verify_negative_cache = yes
                            address_verify_negative_expire_time = 3d
                            address_verify_negative_refresh_time = 3h
                            address_verify_poll_count = 3
                            address_verify_poll_delay = 3s
                            address_verify_positive_expire_time = 31d
                            address_verify_positive_refresh_time = 7d
                            address_verify_sender = double-bounce
                            alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
                            alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
                            append_dot_mydomain = no
                            biff = no
                            bounce_notice_recipient = postmaster
                            bounce_queue_lifetime = 5d
                            bounce_service_name = bounce
                            bounce_size_limit = 50000
                            bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.template.cf
                            broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
                            config_directory = /etc/postfix
                            connection_cache_status_update_time = 600s
                            connection_cache_ttl_limit = 2s
                            content_filter =
                            default_destination_recipient_limit = 50
                            default_process_limit = 100
                            delay_notice_recipient = postmaster
                            disable_dns_lookups = no
                            double_bounce_sender = double-bounce
                            empty_address_recipient = MAILER-DAEMON
                            enable_original_recipient = yes
                            error_notice_recipient = postmaster
                            header_address_token_limit = 10240
                            header_checks =
                            ignore_mx_lookup_error = no
                            in_flow_delay = 1s
                            inet_interfaces = all
                            initial_destination_concurrency = 5
                            local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
                            local_recipient_maps =
                            mailbox_size_limit = 102400000
                            mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp
                            maximal_backoff_time = 4000s
                            maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d
                            message_size_limit = 102400000
                            mime_header_checks =
                            mime_nesting_limit = 100
                            minimal_backoff_time = 300s
                            mydestination =
                            myhostname = server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local
                            mynetworks = 172.16.40.0/24
                            myorigin = /etc/mailname
                            qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 20000
                            qmgr_message_recipient_minimum = 10
                            queue_run_delay = 300s
                            readme_directory = no
                            receive_override_options =
                            recipient_canonical_maps =
                            recipient_delimiter = +
                            relay_recipient_maps =
                            relayhost =
                            smtp_connect_timeout = 30s
                            smtp_connection_cache_on_demand = yes
                            smtp_connection_cache_time_limit = 2s
                            smtp_connection_reuse_time_limit = 300s
                            smtp_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
                            smtp_helo_timeout = 300s
                            smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/smtp_sasl_password
                            smtp_send_xforward_command = yes
                            smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = no
                            smtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = SSLv3,TLSv1
                            smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
                            btree:/var/lib/postfix/smtpd_tls_session_cache
                            smtpd_client_connection_count_limit = 50
                            smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 0
                            smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 0
                            smtpd_client_new_tls_session_rate_limit = 0
                            smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 0
                            smtpd_client_restrictions = check_client_access
                            ldap:smtpd_client_restrictions_check_client_access
                            smtpd_error_sleep_time = 1s
                            smtpd_hard_error_limit = 20
                            smtpd_recipient_limit = 1000
                            smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                            permit_mynetworks,permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_unauth_destination
                            smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = yes
                            smtpd_restriction_classes =
                            smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
                            smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks =
                            smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
                            smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
                            smtpd_soft_error_limit = 10
                            smtpd_timeout = 300
                            smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.csr
                            smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = no
                            smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
                            smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.crt
                            smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.key
                            smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
                            smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
                            smtpd_tls_security_level = may
                            smtpd_use_tls = yes
                            undisclosed_recipients_header = To: undisclosed-recipients:;
                            virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                            virtual_mailbox_limit = 102400000
                            virtual_transport = $mailbox_transport
                            virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

                            content of /etc/postfix/virtual
                            ------------------------------------
                            @... all-users@...

                            content of /etc/postfix/aliases
                            ------------------------------------

                            user1 user1@...
                            user2 user2@...
                            all-users all-users@...

                            piece of log when sending from external to user1

                            Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/cleanup[8627]: 67B7F2BCC:
                            message-id=<20100701123823.67B7F2BCC@...>
                            Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/qmgr[4773]: 67B7F2BCC:
                            from=<toto@...>, size=415, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                            Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/smtp[8737]: 67B7F2BCC:
                            to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>, ....

                            so user1 exists but postfix whant to send to all-users@... has
                            the catch all

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                              01.07.2010 14:40, David Touzeau:

                              > here it is the main.cf

                              Post the output of
                              postconf -n
                              next time

> [...]
                              > smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = yes
                              > smtpd_restriction_classes =
                              > smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
                              > smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks =
                              > smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
                              > smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
                              > smtpd_soft_error_limit = 10
                              > smtpd_timeout = 300
                              > smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.csr
                              > smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = no
                              > smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
                              > smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.crt
                              > smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.key
                              > smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
                              > smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
                              > smtpd_tls_security_level = may
                              > smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
                              > smtpd_use_tls = yes
                              > undisclosed_recipients_header = To: undisclosed-recipients:;
                              > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

                              which differs significantly from what you claimed previously being the
                              content of your "virtual maps".

                              > content of /etc/postfix/aliases
                              > ------------------------------------
                              >
                              > user1 user1@...
                              > user2 user2@...
                              > all-users all-users@...
                              >

                              > piece of log when sending from external to user1
                              >
                              > Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/cleanup[8627]: 67B7F2BCC:
                              > message-id=<20100701123823.67B7F2BCC@...>
                              > Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/qmgr[4773]: 67B7F2BCC:
                              > from=<toto@...>, size=415, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                              > Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/smtp[8737]: 67B7F2BCC:
                              > to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>, ....
                              >
                              > so user1 exists but postfix whant to send to all-users@... has
                              > the catch all

                              Which is exactly what you instructed postfix to do with the above
                              /etc/postfix/virtual map.
                              Note: alias_maps and alias_database are only used by the local(8)
                              delivery agent, but since your "mydestination" is empty, "company.tld"
                              isn't a local domain.

                              Regards
                              mks
                            • David Touzeau
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                On 01/07/2010 15:17, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> [...]
                                >> ------------------------------------
                                >>
                                >> user1 user1@...
                                >> user2 user2@...
                                >> all-users all-users@...
                                >>

                                >> piece of log when sending from external to user1
                                >>
                                >> Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/cleanup[8627]: 67B7F2BCC:
                                >> message-id=<20100701123823.67B7F2BCC@...>
                                >> Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/qmgr[4773]: 67B7F2BCC:
                                >> from=<toto@...>, size=415, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                >> Jul 1 14:38:37 server-mail postfix/smtp[8737]: 67B7F2BCC:
                                >> to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>, ....
                                >>
                                >> so user1 exists but postfix whant to send to all-users@... has
                                >> the catch all
                                >
                                > Which is exactly what you instructed postfix to do with the above
                                > /etc/postfix/virtual map.
                                > Note: alias_maps and alias_database are only used by the local(8)
                                > delivery agent, but since your "mydestination" is empty, "company.tld"

                                yes

                                excuse me

                                here it is the postconf -n

[...]
                                mydestination = hash:/etc/postfix/mydestination
                                myhostname = server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local
                                mynetworks = 172.16.40.0/24
                                myorigin = /etc/mailname
                                qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 20000
                                qmgr_message_recipient_minimum = 10
                                queue_run_delay = 300s
                                readme_directory = no
                                receive_override_options =
                                recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc
                                recipient_canonical_maps =
                                recipient_delimiter = +
                                relay_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_domains
                                relay_recipient_maps =
                                relayhost =
                                sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
                                sender_dependent_relayhost_maps =
                                hash:/etc/postfix/sender_dependent_relayhost
[...]
                                virtual_mailbox_domains =
                                virtual_mailbox_limit = 102400000
                                virtual_transport = $mailbox_transport
                                virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

                                i have set mydestination, sorry it was a fresh install for this discuss.

                                here it is the piece of log when sending a mail

                                ul 1 15:45:18 server-mail postfix/cleanup[2923]: 226B42BCC:
                                message-id=<20100701134510.226B42BCC@...>
                                Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail postfix/qmgr[11911]: 226B42BCC:
                                from=<user@...>, size=398, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/master[3239]: about to exec
                                /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
                                Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]: executed
                                Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]: accepted connection
                                Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]: lmtp connection
                                preauth'd as postman
                                Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]:
                                verify_user(user.all-users) failed: Mailbox does not exist
                                Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail postfix/lmtp[3238]: 226B42BCC:
                                to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>,
                                relay=server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local[/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp],

                                so what's interesting :

                                user@... -> user1@...

                                The expected behavior is to send to user1@... but in real state
                                postfix translate user1 to the catch all:

                                user@... -> user1@... -> all-users@...
                                to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>

                                what i have missed ??

                                best regards
                              • Markus Schönhaber
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                  01.07.2010 15:48, David Touzeau:

> [...]
                                  > smtpd_timeout = 300
                                  > smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.csr
                                  > smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = no
                                  > smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
                                  > smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.crt
                                  > smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/postfix/ca.key
                                  > smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
                                  > smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
                                  > smtpd_tls_security_level = may
                                  > smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
                                  > smtpd_use_tls = yes
                                  > undisclosed_recipients_header = To: undisclosed-recipients:;
                                  > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                                  > virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                                  > virtual_mailbox_domains =
                                  > virtual_mailbox_limit = 102400000
                                  > virtual_transport = $mailbox_transport
                                  > virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
                                  >

                                  > i have set mydestination, sorry it was a fresh install for this discuss.

                                  What are the contents of /etc/postfix/mydestination? Did you postmap it?

                                  BTW: what's the point in explicitly setting so many configuration
                                  variables to their default values?

                                  > here it is the piece of log when sending a mail
                                  >
                                  > ul 1 15:45:18 server-mail postfix/cleanup[2923]: 226B42BCC:
                                  > message-id=<20100701134510.226B42BCC@...>
                                  > Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail postfix/qmgr[11911]: 226B42BCC:
                                  > from=<user@...>, size=398, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                  > Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/master[3239]: about to exec
                                  > /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
                                  > Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]: executed
                                  > Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]: accepted connection
                                  > Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]: lmtp connection
                                  > preauth'd as postman
                                  > Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[3239]:
                                  > verify_user(user.all-users) failed: Mailbox does not exist

                                  So you've probably created a source for backscatter - which can happen
                                  very easily when you break recipient validation (which at least three
                                  people on this list have warned you of doing).

                                  > Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail postfix/lmtp[3238]: 226B42BCC:
                                  > to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>,
                                  > relay=server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local[/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp],
                                  >
                                  > so what's interesting :
                                  >
                                  > user@... -> user1@...
                                  >
                                  > The expected behavior is to send to user1@... but in real state
                                  > postfix translate user1 to the catch all:
                                  >
                                  > user@... -> user1@... -> all-users@...
                                  > to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>
                                  >
                                  > what i have missed ??

                                  You missed to show the log entries for the complete mail transaction
                                  starting from the point where the mail enters the system till final
                                  delivery.

                                  --
                                  Regards
                                  mks
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                    On 01/07/2010 16:34, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> [...]
                                    >> verify_user(user.all-users) failed: Mailbox does not exist
                                    >
                                    > So you've probably created a source for backscatter - which can happen
                                    > very easily when you break recipient validation (which at least three
                                    > people on this list have warned you of doing).
                                    >
                                    >> Jul 1 15:45:18 server-mail postfix/lmtp[3238]: 226B42BCC:
                                    >> to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>,
                                    >> relay=server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local[/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp],
                                    >>
                                    >> so what's interesting :
                                    >>
                                    >> user@... -> user1@...
                                    >>
                                    >> The expected behavior is to send to user1@... but in real state
                                    >> postfix translate user1 to the catch all:
                                    >>
                                    >> user@... -> user1@... -> all-users@...
                                    >> to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>
                                    >>
                                    >> what i have missed ??
                                    >
                                    > You missed to show the log entries for the complete mail transaction
                                    > starting from the point where the mail enters the system till final

                                    here it is :

                                    Jul 1 16:48:08 server-mail postfix/smtpd[21427]: connect from
                                    unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                    Jul 1 16:48:30 server-mail cyrus/master[27446]: process 20566 exited,
                                    status 0
                                    Jul 1 16:48:31 server-mail cyrus/master[27446]: process 21226 exited,
                                    status 0
                                    Jul 1 16:49:01 server-mail postfix/smtpd[21427]: 47CF02BCC:
                                    client=unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/cleanup[22048]: 47CF02BCC:
                                    message-id=<20100701144901.47CF02BCC@...>
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/qmgr[21345]: 47CF02BCC:
                                    from=<user1@...>, size=420, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/master[22266]: about to exec
                                    /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: executed
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: accepted connection
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: lmtp connection
                                    preauth'd as postman
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: WARNING: sieve script
                                    /var/spool/cyrus/sieve/a/all-users/defaultbc doesn't exist: No such file
                                    or directory
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: Delivered:
                                    <20100701144901.47CF02BCC@...>
                                    to mailbox: user.all-users
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/lmtp[22265]: 47CF02BCC:
                                    to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>,
                                    relay=server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local[/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp],
                                    delay=41, delays=41/0.02/0.03/0.07, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5 Ok)
                                    Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/qmgr[21345]: 47CF02BCC: removed
                                  • Markus Schönhaber
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                      01.07.2010 16:49, David Touzeau:

                                      > On 01/07/2010 16:34, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

                                      Again:

                                      >> What are the contents of /etc/postfix/mydestination? Did you postmap it?

                                      And:

                                      >> BTW: what's the point in explicitly setting so many configuration
                                      >> variables to their default values?

                                      > Jul 1 16:48:08 server-mail postfix/smtpd[21427]: connect from
                                      > unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                      > Jul 1 16:48:30 server-mail cyrus/master[27446]: process 20566 exited,
                                      > status 0
                                      > Jul 1 16:48:31 server-mail cyrus/master[27446]: process 21226 exited,
                                      > status 0
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:01 server-mail postfix/smtpd[21427]: 47CF02BCC:
                                      > client=unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/cleanup[22048]: 47CF02BCC:
                                      > message-id=<20100701144901.47CF02BCC@...>
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/qmgr[21345]: 47CF02BCC:
                                      > from=<user1@...>, size=420, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/master[22266]: about to exec
                                      > /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: executed
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: accepted connection
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: lmtp connection
                                      > preauth'd as postman
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: WARNING: sieve script
                                      > /var/spool/cyrus/sieve/a/all-users/defaultbc doesn't exist: No such file
                                      > or directory
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: Delivered:
                                      > <20100701144901.47CF02BCC@...>
                                      > to mailbox: user.all-users
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/lmtp[22265]: 47CF02BCC:
                                      > to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>,
                                      > relay=server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local[/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp],
                                      > delay=41, delays=41/0.02/0.03/0.07, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5 Ok)
                                      > Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/qmgr[21345]: 47CF02BCC: removed

                                      So you've sent a mail from user1@... to user1@... and it
                                      was delivered to all-users@....

                                      What are the contents of
                                      /etc/postfix/mydestination
                                      /etc/postfix/aliases
                                      /etc/postfix/virtual

                                      And: did you postmap (or newaliases when it comes to aliases) them?

                                      Oh, and if you didn't change this (taken from a previous post of yours):

                                      > content of /etc/postfix/aliases
                                      >> ------------------------------------
                                      >>
                                      >> user1 user1@...
                                      >> user2 user2@...
                                      >> all-users all-users@...

                                      That's not a valid aliases(5) file. But newaliases should have warned
                                      you about that fact.

                                      --
                                      Regards
                                      mks

                                      --
                                      Regards
                                      mks
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                        On 01/07/2010 17:22, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
                                        > 01.07.2010 16:49, David Touzeau:
                                        >
                                        >> On 01/07/2010 16:34, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Again:
                                        >
                                        >>> What are the contents of /etc/postfix/mydestination? Did you postmap it?
                                        >
                                        > And:
                                        >
                                        >>> BTW: what's the point in explicitly setting so many configuration
                                        >>> variables to their default values?
                                        >

                                        >> Jul 1 16:48:08 server-mail postfix/smtpd[21427]: connect from
                                        >> unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                        >> Jul 1 16:48:30 server-mail cyrus/master[27446]: process 20566 exited,
                                        >> status 0
                                        >> Jul 1 16:48:31 server-mail cyrus/master[27446]: process 21226 exited,
                                        >> status 0
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:01 server-mail postfix/smtpd[21427]: 47CF02BCC:
                                        >> client=unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/cleanup[22048]: 47CF02BCC:
                                        >> message-id=<20100701144901.47CF02BCC@...>
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/qmgr[21345]: 47CF02BCC:
                                        >> from=<user1@...>, size=420, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/master[22266]: about to exec
                                        >> /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: executed
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: accepted connection
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: lmtp connection
                                        >> preauth'd as postman
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: WARNING: sieve script
                                        >> /var/spool/cyrus/sieve/a/all-users/defaultbc doesn't exist: No such file
                                        >> or directory
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[22266]: Delivered:
                                        >> <20100701144901.47CF02BCC@...>
                                        >> to mailbox: user.all-users
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/lmtp[22265]: 47CF02BCC:
                                        >> to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>,
                                        >> relay=server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local[/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp],
                                        >> delay=41, delays=41/0.02/0.03/0.07, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5 Ok)
                                        >> Jul 1 16:49:11 server-mail postfix/qmgr[21345]: 47CF02BCC: removed
                                        >
                                        > So you've sent a mail from user1@... to user1@... and it
                                        > was delivered to all-users@....
                                        >
                                        > What are the contents of
                                        > /etc/postfix/mydestination
                                        > /etc/postfix/aliases
                                        > /etc/postfix/virtual
                                        >
                                        > And: did you postmap (or newaliases when it comes to aliases) them?
                                        >
                                        > Oh, and if you didn't change this (taken from a previous post of yours):
                                        >
                                        >> content of /etc/postfix/aliases
                                        >>> ------------------------------------
                                        >>>
                                        >>> user1 user1@...
                                        >>> user2 user2@...
                                        >>> all-users all-users@...
                                        >
                                        > That's not a valid aliases(5) file. But newaliases should have warned
                                        > you about that fact.

                                        your are right, aliases was not correctly formated, i have changed it
                                        but no changes

                                        postmap and newaliases was executed

                                        this is the content of

                                        /etc/postfix/mydestination
                                        -----------------------------------
                                        company.tld OK

                                        /etc/postfix/aliases
                                        -----------------------------------
                                        user1:user1@...
                                        user2:user2@...
                                        all-users:all-users@...

                                        /etc/postfix/virtual
                                        -----------------------------------
                                        @... all-users@...

                                        Jul 1 17:33:04 server-mail postfix/master[4937]: reload configuration
                                        /etc/postfix
                                        Jul 1 17:33:38 server-mail postfix/smtpd[27394]: connect from
                                        unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                        Jul 1 17:34:07 server-mail postfix/smtpd[27394]: 470342BCC:
                                        client=unknown[172.16.40.1]
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail postfix/cleanup[28618]: 470342BCC:
                                        message-id=<20100701153407.470342BCC@...>
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail postfix/qmgr[26396]: 470342BCC:
                                        from=<toto@...>, size=397, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail cyrus/master[28623]: about to exec
                                        /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[28623]: executed
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[28623]: accepted connection
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[28623]: lmtp connection
                                        preauth'd as postman
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[28623]: WARNING: sieve script
                                        /var/spool/cyrus/sieve/a/all-users/defaultbc doesn't exist: No such file
                                        or directory
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail cyrus/lmtpunix[28623]: Delivered:
                                        <20100701153407.470342BCC@...>
                                        to mailbox: user.all-users
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail postfix/lmtp[28622]: 470342BCC:
                                        to=<all-users@...>, orig_to=<user1@...>,
                                        relay=server-mail.touzeau.biz.touzeau.biz.local.local[/var/spool/postfix/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp],
                                        delay=21, delays=20/0.01/0.03/0.03, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5 Ok)
                                        Jul 1 17:34:13 server-mail postfix/qmgr[26396]: 470342BCC: removed

                                        catch-all still take the hand
                                      • Markus Schönhaber
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                          01.07.2010 17:38, David Touzeau:

                                          > this is the content of
                                          >
                                          > /etc/postfix/mydestination
                                          > -----------------------------------
                                          > company.tld OK
                                          >
                                          > /etc/postfix/aliases
                                          > -----------------------------------
                                          > user1:user1@...
                                          > user2:user2@...
                                          > all-users:all-users@...
                                          >
                                          > /etc/postfix/virtual
                                          > -----------------------------------
                                          > @... all-users@...

                                          > catch-all still take the hand

                                          And that's OK, since cleanup(8) has rewritten the recipient address to
                                          all-users@... according to virtual before local(8) is handed the
                                          message and has the chance to do further rewriting according to aliases.
                                          http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#overview

                                          --
                                          Regards
                                          mks
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                            On 01/07/2010 17:59, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
                                            > 01.07.2010 17:38, David Touzeau:
                                            >
                                            >> this is the content of
                                            >>
                                            >> /etc/postfix/mydestination
                                            >> -----------------------------------
                                            >> company.tld OK
                                            >>
                                            >> /etc/postfix/aliases
                                            >> -----------------------------------
                                            >> user1:user1@...
                                            >> user2:user2@...
                                            >> all-users:all-users@...
                                            >>
                                            >> /etc/postfix/virtual
                                            >> -----------------------------------
                                            >> @... all-users@...
                                            >
                                            >> catch-all still take the hand
                                            >
                                            > And that's OK, since cleanup(8) has rewritten the recipient address to
                                            > all-users@... according to virtual before local(8) is handed the
                                            > message and has the chance to do further rewriting according to aliases.
                                            > http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#overview

                                            THanks to explain to me the process but what is for you the best
                                            settings to fix the situation ?
                                          • Markus Schönhaber
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                              01.07.2010 18:13, David Touzeau:

                                              > THanks to explain to me the process but what is for you the best
                                              > settings to fix the situation ?

                                              Hm, I have already said what I consider the best fix for the situation:
                                              get rid of the catch-all and implement recipient validation.

                                              --
                                              Regards
                                              mks
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                                                I think i have found the solution

                                                the solution is to populate the /etc/postfix/virtual with user's emails
                                                addresses maps before the catch-all

                                                instead this

                                                @... all-users@...

                                                fill this: