Multiple Users

  • Jonathan Tripathy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hi there,

      Does postfix support multiple users using aliases?

      Example:

      sales@... would send the mail to user1@..., user2@..., user3@...
      support@... would send the mail to user2@... and user3@...

      My aliases table and user database is stored in a MYSQL database.

      May this task is more suitable for a mailing list program

      Thanks
    • Ansgar Wiechers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
        On 2010-06-30 Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
        > Does postfix support multiple users using aliases?

        Yes.

        Regards
        Ansgar Wiechers
        --Joel Spolsky
      • Michael Orlitzky
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
          On 06/30/2010 09:15 AM, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
          > Hi there,
          > Does postfix support multiple users using aliases?
          > Example:
          > sales@... <mailto:sales@...> would send the mail to
          > user1@... <mailto:user1@...>, user2@...
          > <mailto:user2@...>, user3@... <mailto:user3@...>
          > support@... <mailto:support@...> would send the mail to
          > user2@... <mailto:user2@...> and user3@...
          > <mailto:user3@...>
          > My aliases table and user database is stored in a MYSQL database.
          > May this task is more suitable for a mailing list program
          > Thanks

          From http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html,

          The optional virtual(5) alias table rewrites recipient
          addresses for all local, all virtual, and all remote mail
          destinations. This is unlike the aliases(5) table which
          is used only for local(8) delivery. Virtual aliasing is
          recursive, and is implemented by the Postfix cleanup(8)
          daemon before mail is queued.

          The main applications of virtual aliasing are:

          o To redirect mail for one address to one or more
          addresses.

          You should be able to place your virtual alias maps in MySQL. If your
          lists grow larger or you intend to modify them frequently, a mailing
          list manager is probably a better long-term solution.