Re: recipient delimiter ambiguity

  • Phil Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2010
      On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:08, Victor Duchovni
      <Victor.Duchovni@...> wrote:

      > In situations where mail is forwarded outside the environment that
      > supports the local recipient delimiter (e.g. Postfix->Exchange):
      >
      > I set:
      >
      >        propagate_unmatched_extesion = canonical
      >
      > overriding the default:
      >
      >        propagate_unmatched_extensions = canonical, virtual
      >
      > that way, mail arrives to the right recipient on the destination system.
      > The recipient can still apply filters on the headers, but loses the
      > extension in the envelope, which is typically not tragic.

      Yes, that certainly eliminates the failure to deliver (or in certain
      cases, a misdelivery where real users have the delimiter character at
      the remote domain).

      I was thinking that a logic which could be used is this. A variable
      similar to the above could be used to list which tables would have
      this logic in effect (maybe called "map_extension_delimiter_in_lookup"
      ... default being null to avoid impacting existing configurations in
      any way). For lookup tables specified, first the local delimiter
      character would be appended to the username, before the @domain where
      applicable, and that used as the lookup key (e.g. "bob+@...").
      If that lookup succeeds, then the character at the end of the
      username part of the result would be used to replace every instance of
      the local delimiter character. So with a table entry of
      "bob+@... fred-@...", email addressed to
      "bob+foo+bar@..." would be remapped to be sent to
      "fred-foo-bar@...".

      Of course you could have a nice mess if mail was addressed to
      "bob+postfix-users@..." came in with that situation. I don't
      think this is really worth doing. But it was a curiosity.