Re: unknown recipient issue

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2010
      Curtis Maurand put forth on 6/1/2010 2:13 PM:

      > I was editing the table by hand, but it seemed to be easier to do via
      > the dbmail administrator and the mysql lookup. two domains, I'm simply
      > filtering mail for and then sending along to their exchange server via
      > smtp (sort of a postini type service.).

      You need to be using recipient address verification. It was designed
      specifically for this scenario. It is realtime and fully automatic, using
      SMTP queries to downstream servers to determine valid users. Set it up once
      and you're done. No databases to maintain.

      As an example, Nortel Networks uses this technique (although with qpsmtpd, not
      Postfix, IIRC) to route mail through a few smtp gateways to hundreds of
      internal domains and over 50k+ users worldwide. They have divisions using MS
      Active Directory and Exchange, some using Novell eDirectory and Groupwise,
      some using Lotus Notes, others using ??. The sheer magnitude of attempting to
      tie all of these disparate systems together just to identify valid recipients
      would have cost multiple millions and would have never worked correctly due to
      directory synchronization issues.

      SMTP based recipient address verification was(is) the simple, elegant
      solution, as all of these disparate mail platforms have SMTP in common, and
      SMTP has a mechanism for recipient address verification. In essence this
      solution is "free" of cost and complexity, and works extremely well.

      It's really the only way to fly:

      http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient

      --
      Stan