Re: SSL Certificates per domain

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
      On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:23:38PM -0500, Terry Inzauro wrote:

      > > Even with SNI support, most SMTP clients will not make use of SNI, so
      > > it will take a long time before SMTP STARTTLS servers can expect to
      > > support multiple certificates for most clients.
      > >

      > Could this be a case where it makes sense to run multiple instances
      > of postfix which bind to different IP's and are each
      > configured with unique certs?

      Yes, clearly, that's the most practical configuration option today.

    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
        On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:23:38PM -0500, Terry Inzauro wrote:
        > Could this be a case where it makes sense to run multiple
        > instances of postfix which bind to different IP's and are each
        > configured with unique certs?

        They don't need to be separate instances, possibly just separate
        smtpd(8) listeners bound per IP address. If you want each smtpd's
        input to be a separate output stream, that would either require
        separate Postfix instances, or the new features in Postfix 2.7
        (release notes and the list archives have more information.)

        Is SNI defined for SMTP yet? A quick Google search didn't find it.
        How would that work? The client would have to tell the hostname or
        domain name wanted before the STARTTLS?
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
          On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:42:06PM -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:

          > Is SNI defined for SMTP yet? A quick Google search didn't find it.
          > How would that work? The client would have to tell the hostname or
          > domain name wanted before the STARTTLS?

          SNI works entirely within SSL, the desired hostname is sent in the
          client SSL HELLO. There is no need to define SNI for SMTP.

          An MUA that implements SNI for submission, would send the SMTP server
          name it expects to match. This case is easy.

          An MTA delivering mail to an MX host faces a more complex choice,
          because it may be willing to accept a variety of names. The best
          choice would be to send the "nexthop" domain (typically the same
          as the domain of the recipients), and the server will choose a
          cert with that name if it has one, a cert for a sub-domain
          otherwise, and the default cert if neither an exact match, nor
          a sub-domain are available.

          On the client side, we may need to a new policy table attribute to
          allow the client administrator to specify an SNI name other than the
          nexthop.

          Anyway, this is not currently a high priority, if implemented, it would
          largely be just Postfix talking to Postfix. I am not aware of any other
          SMTP+STARTTLS implementations that support SNI.