Re: RE : RE : How to forward mail when mailbox not localy existing

    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2010
      On 5/2/2010 5:41 PM, Yannick wrote:
      > I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.
      >
      > And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)
      >
      > I understand your raction but it works !

      It works, except that your queue will be filled with
      undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
      you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

      If you want to use luser_relay, make a single hash list of ALL
      your valid users, regardless of where they are delivered, and
      point local_recipient_maps at that list.

      On today's internet a design that accepts mail to any address
      and then generates a bounce for the undeliverables is just
      irresponsible. A design that accepts mail to any address and
      then discards undeliverables (or sends them to a catch-all,
      which isn't much different) is a little better; at least that
      way you only screw yourself and not innocent bystanders.

      The way to fix your design is to create a list of all your
      valid recipients.

      I suppose you could use reject_unverified_recipient if you're
      unable to create a list.
      http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient

      -- Noel Jones
    • Stefano L.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2010
        On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:08:25 -0500, Noel Jones <njones@...>
        wrote:

        > It works, except that your queue will be filled with
        > undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
        > you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

        Thank you Noel, I understood. So also my suggestion is not a good idea
        because, as I just tested, the bounce is generated by the second server and
        goes then back all the way to the original user as a bounce. I will change
        my configuration too.

        Regards,
        Stefano L.