RE : RE : How to forward mail when mailbox not localy existing

  • Yannick
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2010
      I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.

      And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)

      I understand your raction but it works !

      Thanks Reinaldo.

      _________________________________
      De : owner-postfix-users@... [owner-postfix-users@...] de la part de Reinaldo de Carvalho [reinaldoc@...]
      Date d'envoi : lundi 3 mai 2010 00:26
      À : Postfix
      Objet : Re: RE : How to forward mail when mailbox not localy existing

      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yannick <yannick@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Thanks a lot to all of you (Ralf, Stefano and Appliantologist) for your great support !!!
      >
      > I think I'll use the Ralf solution as I don't have to maintain any additional list , by just putting:
      >
      > luser_relay = $user@[IP_address_of_old_server]
      > local_recipient_maps =
      >
      > All the mailbox not yet localy created on the new server will be forwarded to the old.

      Please, don't turn off (local) recipient checking.

      --
      Reinaldo de Carvalho
      http://korreio.sf.net

      "Don't try to adapt the software to the way you work, but rather
      yourself to the way the software works" (myself)
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2010
        Yannick a écrit :
        > I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.
        >
        > And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)
        >
        > I understand your raction but it works !

        now test by sending mail to a user that doesn't exists (nor locally nor
        on the "internal" server). chances are this will generate a bounce
        message. if so, then you are a source of backscatter and you may be
        blacklisted.

        search the web for "backscatter" and you'll see why it's bad.
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2010
          On 5/2/2010 5:41 PM, Yannick wrote:
          > I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.
          >
          > And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)
          >
          > I understand your raction but it works !

          It works, except that your queue will be filled with
          undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
          you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

          If you want to use luser_relay, make a single hash list of ALL
          your valid users, regardless of where they are delivered, and
          point local_recipient_maps at that list.

          On today's internet a design that accepts mail to any address
          and then generates a bounce for the undeliverables is just
          irresponsible. A design that accepts mail to any address and
          then discards undeliverables (or sends them to a catch-all,
          which isn't much different) is a little better; at least that
          way you only screw yourself and not innocent bystanders.

          The way to fix your design is to create a list of all your
          valid recipients.

          I suppose you could use reject_unverified_recipient if you're
          unable to create a list.
          http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient

          -- Noel Jones
        • Stefano L.
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2010
            On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:08:25 -0500, Noel Jones <njones@...>
            wrote:

            > It works, except that your queue will be filled with
            > undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
            > you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

            Thank you Noel, I understood. So also my suggestion is not a good idea
            because, as I just tested, the bounce is generated by the second server and
            goes then back all the way to the original user as a bounce. I will change
            my configuration too.

            Regards,
            Stefano L.