RE : How to forward mail when mailbox not localy existing

  • Yannick
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2010
      Hi,

      Thanks a lot to all of you (Ralf, Stefano and Appliantologist) for your great support !!!

      I think I'll use the Ralf solution as I don't have to maintain any additional list , by just putting:

      luser_relay = $user@[IP_address_of_old_server]
      local_recipient_maps =

      All the mailbox not yet localy created on the new server will be forwarded to the old.

      Thanks Again to all, you saved my new weeks !

      Regards.

      De : owner-postfix-users@... [owner-postfix-users@...] de la part de postfix@... [postfix@...]
      Date d'envoi : samedi 1 mai 2010 21:02
      À : postfix-users@...
      Objet : Re: How to forward mail when mailbox not localy existing

      Quoting Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>:

      > * Yannick <yannick@...>:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > In the context of migration from an MSExchaneg to Postfix ,
      > >
      > > I 'm tring to reproduce a functionality:
      > > Until we have migrated all the 300 mailboxes, I want to put my new Postfix
      > as a front end.
      > > It would firstly receive the SMTP stream: if the recipient mailbox is
      > localy existing on it then deliver localy (maildir format) and if the mailbox
      > is not yet exising (user not migret) it would then transferred the mail to
      > the old server.
      >
      > luser_relay

      Hi all,

      here is my first post and I'm here to learn more of postfix, I'm not an expert,
      so I will be happy to be corrected if I say something wrong.

      actually I noticed that this could be done with transport

      mydomain.com smtp:[ip_address_or_hostname_of_exchange]

      while I was testing this configuration I noticed that only non-existant
      mailboxes were forwarded to the other smtp, while mailboxes that actually
      existed in my user table were delivered locally.

      Regards,
      Stefano L.
    • Reinaldo de Carvalho
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2010
        On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yannick <yannick@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Thanks a lot to all of you (Ralf, Stefano and Appliantologist) for your great support !!!
        >
        > I think I'll use the Ralf solution as I don't have to maintain any additional list , by just putting:
        >
        > luser_relay = $user@[IP_address_of_old_server]
        > local_recipient_maps  =
        >
        > All the mailbox not yet localy created on the new server will be forwarded to the old.

        Please, don't turn off (local) recipient checking.

        --
        Reinaldo de Carvalho
        http://korreio.sf.net

        "Don't try to adapt the software to the way you work, but rather
        yourself to the way the software works" (myself)
      • Yannick
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2010
          I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.

          And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)

          I understand your raction but it works !

          Thanks Reinaldo.

          _________________________________
          De : owner-postfix-users@... [owner-postfix-users@...] de la part de Reinaldo de Carvalho [reinaldoc@...]
          Date d'envoi : lundi 3 mai 2010 00:26
          À : Postfix

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2010
            Yannick a écrit :
            > I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.
            >
            > And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)
            >
            > I understand your raction but it works !

            now test by sending mail to a user that doesn't exists (nor locally nor
            on the "internal" server). chances are this will generate a bounce
            message. if so, then you are a source of backscatter and you may be
            blacklisted.

            search the web for "backscatter" and you'll see why it's bad.
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2010
              On 5/2/2010 5:41 PM, Yannick wrote:
              > I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.
              >
              > And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)
              >
              > I understand your raction but it works !

              It works, except that your queue will be filled with
              undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
              you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

              If you want to use luser_relay, make a single hash list of ALL
              your valid users, regardless of where they are delivered, and
              point local_recipient_maps at that list.

              On today's internet a design that accepts mail to any address
              and then generates a bounce for the undeliverables is just
              irresponsible. A design that accepts mail to any address and
              then discards undeliverables (or sends them to a catch-all,
              which isn't much different) is a little better; at least that
              way you only screw yourself and not innocent bystanders.

              The way to fix your design is to create a list of all your
              valid recipients.

              I suppose you could use reject_unverified_recipient if you're
              unable to create a list.
              http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient

              -- Noel Jones
            • Stefano L.
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:08:25 -0500, Noel Jones <njones@...>
                wrote:

                > It works, except that your queue will be filled with
                > undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
                > you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

                Thank you Noel, I understood. So also my suggestion is not a good idea
                because, as I just tested, the bounce is generated by the second server and
                goes then back all the way to the original user as a bounce. I will change
                my configuration too.

                Regards,
                Stefano L.