RE: rate limit issue

  • Gary Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2010
      > This DOES NOT limit your delivery RATE!!
      >
      > This limits only the delivery CONCURRENCY.
      >
      > To limit the delivery RATE, see
      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_destination_rate_delay.

      Looking into it now. Thanks for the pointer Wietse. If I'm running multiple outgoing relays, does it make sense to have some type of concurrency rate for the outgoing messages in this case?
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2010
        On 5/1/2010 9:43 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
        >> This DOES NOT limit your delivery RATE!!
        >>
        >> This limits only the delivery CONCURRENCY.
        >>
        >> To limit the delivery RATE, see
        >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_destination_rate_delay.
        >>

        > Looking into it now. Thanks for the pointer Wietse. If I'm running multiple outgoing relays, does it make sense to have some type of concurrency rate for the outgoing messages in this case?

        As a general rule, reducing concurrency to the usual problem
        domains is enough to keep mail flowing at a reasonable rate
        (which is one reason I didn't address the concurrency vs. rate
        delay issue). It's common for them to temporarily 4xx some of
        the mail but eventually it all should go through, even with
        default postfix settings.

        You should sign up for "feedback loops" at each mail provider
        if you haven't already. This may or may not give preference
        to your mail, but is a necessary first step if you're doing
        any kind of bulk mail.

        If that still doesn't help, then implement the rate delay as
        explained in the link Wietse gave you above. Read the link
        carefully; the intent of the rate delay feature is to
        significantly slow down mail delivery to the target domain.
        And some domains will *still* 4xx some of the mail.

        As far as multiple outgoing relays is concerned, the answer is
        "maybe". The only way to know what works for *your* situation
        is to try; first with the default settings, then reduce
        concurrency to see if long-term delivery is any better. If the
        average throughput of a mail run is significantly less than 1
        delivery per second, implementing rate delays *may* allow you
        to send more mail by not triggering evasive action at the
        target mail server.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Gary Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2010
          > >> This DOES NOT limit your delivery RATE!!
          > >>
          > >> This limits only the delivery CONCURRENCY.
          > >>
          > >> To limit the delivery RATE, see
          > >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_destination_rate_delay.

          > If that still doesn't help, then implement the rate delay as
          > explained in the link Wietse gave you above. Read the link
          > carefully; the intent of the rate delay feature is to
          > significantly slow down mail delivery to the target domain.
          > And some domains will *still* 4xx some of the mail.

          Just to make sure I'm reading the docs correctly, in my case where I use the transport of ratelimit (as per the former email) I would be adding ratelimit_destination_rate_delay to main.cf. And if my understanding is correct, these are global settings so I shouldn't set them on the transport in master.cf.

          Can you guys confirm that this assumption is correct?
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2010
            yes.
            -- Noel Jones