Re: Suggested canonical_maps documentation clarification

  • Michael Orlitzky
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2010
      On 05/01/10 21:52, /dev/rob0 wrote:
      > On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 08:51:27PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
      >> From http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#canonical_maps,
      >>
      >> Note: with Postfix version 2.2, message header address mapping
      >> happens only when message header address rewriting is enabled:
      >>
      >> * The message is received with the Postfix sendmail(1) command,
      >> * The message is received from a network client that matches
      >> $local_header_rewrite_clients,
      >> * The message is received from the network, and the
      >> remote_header_rewrite_domain parameter specifies a non-empty
      >> value.
      >>
      >> It is not immediately clear whether these conditions are and/or. A
      >> possible clarification would be to add "Header address rewriting is
      >> enabled when any of the following are true:" prior to the list.
      >
      > Perhaps, but note that the first condition is exclusive of the
      > following two. A message might arrive via sendmail or via the
      > network, but not both.

      Agreed, and the possibility of (first item or (second item and third
      item)) is eliminated by the examples and a quick check of some default
      values.

      But, you have to know how Postfix works already to come to that
      conclusion. Does localhost count as a network client? Where would one go
      to find an answer to that? If so, does sendmail from localhost fall
      under conditions 2 or 3? How does Postfix's sendmail command work,
      anyway? And so on.

      If the documentation-quest can be avoided (or at least shortened) with
      the addition of one sentence, I think it's beneficial to do so.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2010
        Michael Orlitzky:
        > From http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#canonical_maps,
        >
        > Note: with Postfix version 2.2, message header address mapping
        > happens only when message header address rewriting is enabled:
        >
        > * The message is received with the Postfix sendmail(1) command,
        > * The message is received from a network client that matches
        > $local_header_rewrite_clients,
        > * The message is received from the network, and the
        > remote_header_rewrite_domain parameter specifies a non-empty value.
        >
        > It is not immediately clear whether these conditions are and/or. A

        You go from the first to the last, first match wins.

        Wietse