Re: Suggested canonical_maps documentation clarification

  • /dev/rob0
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2010
      On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 08:51:27PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
      > From http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#canonical_maps,
      >
      > Note: with Postfix version 2.2, message header address mapping
      > happens only when message header address rewriting is enabled:
      >
      > * The message is received with the Postfix sendmail(1) command,
      > * The message is received from a network client that matches
      > $local_header_rewrite_clients,
      > * The message is received from the network, and the
      > remote_header_rewrite_domain parameter specifies a non-empty
      > value.
      >
      > It is not immediately clear whether these conditions are and/or. A
      > possible clarification would be to add "Header address rewriting is
      > enabled when any of the following are true:" prior to the list.

      Perhaps, but note that the first condition is exclusive of the
      following two. A message might arrive via sendmail or via the
      network, but not both.
    • Michael Orlitzky
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2010
        On 05/01/10 21:52, /dev/rob0 wrote:
        > On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 08:51:27PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
        >> From http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#canonical_maps,
        >>
        >> Note: with Postfix version 2.2, message header address mapping
        >> happens only when message header address rewriting is enabled:
        >>
        >> * The message is received with the Postfix sendmail(1) command,
        >> * The message is received from a network client that matches
        >> $local_header_rewrite_clients,
        >> * The message is received from the network, and the
        >> remote_header_rewrite_domain parameter specifies a non-empty
        >> value.
        >>
        >> It is not immediately clear whether these conditions are and/or. A
        >> possible clarification would be to add "Header address rewriting is
        >> enabled when any of the following are true:" prior to the list.
        >
        > Perhaps, but note that the first condition is exclusive of the
        > following two. A message might arrive via sendmail or via the
        > network, but not both.

        Agreed, and the possibility of (first item or (second item and third
        item)) is eliminated by the examples and a quick check of some default
        values.

        But, you have to know how Postfix works already to come to that
        conclusion. Does localhost count as a network client? Where would one go
        to find an answer to that? If so, does sendmail from localhost fall
        under conditions 2 or 3? How does Postfix's sendmail command work,
        anyway? And so on.

        If the documentation-quest can be avoided (or at least shortened) with
        the addition of one sentence, I think it's beneficial to do so.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2010
          Michael Orlitzky:
          > From http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#canonical_maps,
          >
          > Note: with Postfix version 2.2, message header address mapping
          > happens only when message header address rewriting is enabled:
          >
          > * The message is received with the Postfix sendmail(1) command,
          > * The message is received from a network client that matches
          > $local_header_rewrite_clients,
          > * The message is received from the network, and the
          > remote_header_rewrite_domain parameter specifies a non-empty value.
          >
          > It is not immediately clear whether these conditions are and/or. A

          You go from the first to the last, first match wins.

          Wietse