How to forward mail when mailbox not localy existing

  • Yannick
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2010
      Hi,

      In the context of migration from an MSExchaneg to Postfix ,

      I 'm tring to reproduce a functionality:
      Until we have migrated all the 300 mailboxes, I want to put my new Postfix as a front end.
      It would firstly receive the SMTP stream: if the recipient mailbox is localy existing on it then deliver localy (maildir format) and if the mailbox is not yet exising (user not migret) it would then transferred the mail to the old server.

      I'm using Dovecot as LDA (and POP3/IMAP too)

      If anyone know how to produce this...

      any ahelp appreciate.

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,

    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2010
        * Yannick <yannick@...>:
        > Hi,
        >
        > In the context of migration from an MSExchaneg to Postfix ,
        >
        > I 'm tring to reproduce a functionality:
        > Until we have migrated all the 300 mailboxes, I want to put my new Postfix as a front end.
        > It would firstly receive the SMTP stream: if the recipient mailbox is localy existing on it then deliver localy (maildir format) and if the mailbox is not yet exising (user not migret) it would then transferred the mail to the old server.

        luser_relay

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt
        Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2010
          Quoting Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>:

          > * Yannick <yannick@...>:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > In the context of migration from an MSExchaneg to Postfix ,
          > >
          > > I 'm tring to reproduce a functionality:
          > > Until we have migrated all the 300 mailboxes, I want to put my new Postfix
          > as a front end.
          > > It would firstly receive the SMTP stream: if the recipient mailbox is
          > localy existing on it then deliver localy (maildir format) and if the mailbox
          > is not yet exising (user not migret) it would then transferred the mail to
          > the old server.
          >
          > luser_relay

          Hi all,

          here is my first post and I'm here to learn more of postfix, I'm not an expert,
          so I will be happy to be corrected if I say something wrong.

          actually I noticed that this could be done with transport

          mydomain.com smtp:[ip_address_or_hostname_of_exchange]

          while I was testing this configuration I noticed that only non-existant
          mailboxes were forwarded to the other smtp, while mailboxes that actually
          existed in my user table were delivered locally.

          Regards,
          Stefano L.
        • Appliantologist
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2010
            Hi,

            You can use the /etc/postfix/virtual file to have a list of local
            email addresses and their corresponding alternative address.

            I'm new to postfix myself, but say you have 2 machines both configured
            to deliver mail for a single address guy@... for example

            Postfix delivers mail to the local system for all it's users, but for
            anyone that has yet to migrate, in the virtual table, you put the
            email address and the forwarding address to the servers with the user
            like

            guy@... Guy%mail.com@10.0.0.1

            I had to migrate about 100 people, I just kept it all by hand and used
            the virtual file to manage where email went.

            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Yannick <yannick@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > In the context of migration from an MSExchaneg to Postfix ,
            >
            > I 'm tring to reproduce a functionality:
            > Until we have migrated all the 300 mailboxes, I want to put my new Postfix
            > as a front end.
            > It would firstly receive the SMTP stream: if the recipient mailbox is localy
            > existing on it then deliver localy (maildir format) and if the mailbox is
            > not yet exising (user not migret) it would then transferred the mail to the
            > old server.
            >
            > I'm using Dovecot as LDA (and POP3/IMAP too)
            >

            > If anyone know how to produce this...
            >
            > any ahelp appreciate.
            >

            > Thanks in advance.
            >

            > Regards,

          • Yannick
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2010
              Hi,

              Thanks a lot to all of you (Ralf, Stefano and Appliantologist) for your great support !!!

              I think I'll use the Ralf solution as I don't have to maintain any additional list , by just putting:

              luser_relay = $user@[IP_address_of_old_server]
              local_recipient_maps =

              All the mailbox not yet localy created on the new server will be forwarded to the old.

              Thanks Again to all, you saved my new weeks !

              Regards.

              De : owner-postfix-users@... [owner-postfix-users@...] de la part de postfix@... [postfix@...]
              Date d'envoi : samedi 1 mai 2010 21:02
              À : postfix-users@...
              Objet : Re: How to forward mail when mailbox not localy existing

              Quoting Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>:

              > * Yannick <yannick@...>:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > In the context of migration from an MSExchaneg to Postfix ,
              > >
              > > I 'm tring to reproduce a functionality:
              > > Until we have migrated all the 300 mailboxes, I want to put my new Postfix
              > as a front end.
              > > It would firstly receive the SMTP stream: if the recipient mailbox is
              > localy existing on it then deliver localy (maildir format) and if the mailbox
              > is not yet exising (user not migret) it would then transferred the mail to
              > the old server.
              >
              > luser_relay

              Hi all,

              here is my first post and I'm here to learn more of postfix, I'm not an expert,
              so I will be happy to be corrected if I say something wrong.

              actually I noticed that this could be done with transport

              mydomain.com smtp:[ip_address_or_hostname_of_exchange]

              while I was testing this configuration I noticed that only non-existant
              mailboxes were forwarded to the other smtp, while mailboxes that actually
              existed in my user table were delivered locally.

              Regards,
              Stefano L.
            • Reinaldo de Carvalho
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yannick <yannick@...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > Thanks a lot to all of you (Ralf, Stefano and Appliantologist) for your great support !!!
                >
                > I think I'll use the Ralf solution as I don't have to maintain any additional list , by just putting:
                >
                > luser_relay = $user@[IP_address_of_old_server]
                > local_recipient_maps  =
                >
                > All the mailbox not yet localy created on the new server will be forwarded to the old.

                Please, don't turn off (local) recipient checking.

                --
                Reinaldo de Carvalho
                http://korreio.sf.net

                "Don't try to adapt the software to the way you work, but rather
                yourself to the way the software works" (myself)
              • Yannick
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                  I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.

                  And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)

                  I understand your raction but it works !

                  Thanks Reinaldo.

                  _________________________________
                  De : owner-postfix-users@... [owner-postfix-users@...] de la part de Reinaldo de Carvalho [reinaldoc@...]
                  Date d'envoi : lundi 3 mai 2010 00:26
                  À : Postfix

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                    Yannick a écrit :
                    > I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.
                    >
                    > And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)
                    >
                    > I understand your raction but it works !

                    now test by sending mail to a user that doesn't exists (nor locally nor
                    on the "internal" server). chances are this will generate a bounce
                    message. if so, then you are a source of backscatter and you may be
                    blacklisted.

                    search the web for "backscatter" and you'll see why it's bad.
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                      On 5/2/2010 5:41 PM, Yannick wrote:
                      > I tnink you're talking about the "local_recipient_maps =" setting but if I do not use it, I get a " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" and the mail is not forwarded.
                      >
                      > And, with this setting (just empty), user localy existing (in the /etc/password) are receiving their mail on the new server (on the frontend)
                      >
                      > I understand your raction but it works !

                      It works, except that your queue will be filled with
                      undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
                      you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

                      If you want to use luser_relay, make a single hash list of ALL
                      your valid users, regardless of where they are delivered, and
                      point local_recipient_maps at that list.

                      On today's internet a design that accepts mail to any address
                      and then generates a bounce for the undeliverables is just
                      irresponsible. A design that accepts mail to any address and
                      then discards undeliverables (or sends them to a catch-all,
                      which isn't much different) is a little better; at least that
                      way you only screw yourself and not innocent bystanders.

                      The way to fix your design is to create a list of all your
                      valid recipients.

                      I suppose you could use reject_unverified_recipient if you're
                      unable to create a list.
                      http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient

                      -- Noel Jones
                    • Stefano L.
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                        On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:08:25 -0500, Noel Jones <njones@...>
                        wrote:

                        > It works, except that your queue will be filled with
                        > undeliverable bounces to nonexistant spammer addresses, and
                        > you will eventually get blacklisted as a backscatter source.

                        Thank you Noel, I understood. So also my suggestion is not a good idea
                        because, as I just tested, the bounce is generated by the second server and
                        goes then back all the way to the original user as a bounce. I will change
                        my configuration too.

                        Regards,
                        Stefano L.