Re: 'Domain not found' errors after Ubuntu upgrade

  • Uwe Dippel
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2010
      Y z wrote:

      > I'm sure (well, almost sure) that bind got hosed *somehow*. Postfix
      > really doesn't have more than a bit part in this drama. I just want to
      > figure out why Postfix gets different answers than dig at the command
      > prompt.

      Relax.
      I am sure you did
      dig that.other.mail.org MX.
      Then the answer can't be different among postfix and command prompt.
      If the two resolv.conf are identical. If need be (and some will jump
      into my face) our little helper is 'cp' for identical results (and
      resolvers) to get some mails delivered as long as the resolution on the
      command line is satisfying. (That's what I did on Monday morning when
      the queue was overflowing and the dreaded warning about them being
      different came up. Luckily, here 'cp' worked.)

      And I still have the desire to understand, why the resolvers could
      become different over the weekend; when the name resolution(s) for MX
      failed. I can't believe 'because of' the MX reolution(s) failed, and
      yet/var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf was just empty.
      'Restart' had not helped. Only when the resolution was back, would the
      two be identical again. Very strange.

      Uwe