Re: Bounce replies are not coming back through relay

  • Larry Stone
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
      On 4/3/10 8:24 AM, Masao Garcia at masaog@... wrote:

      > Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Our reply-to addresses are for a
      > domain that's not handled (yet) by our mail servers. We are in the middle
      > of a transition to bringing our e-mail in-house away from an external
      > pop/imap provider but during the transition we'd still like to keep the
      > reply-to domain name the same (we just have forwards set up on our external
      > provider to point to our temporary e-mail addresses). From looking at the
      > logs, the bounce is going to our provider's MX server and stops there. If I
      > change my reply-to to a domain that is handled by my relay then I get the
      > bounce message back.

      Once mail leaves your server, any bounce message generated by a downstream
      server and sent back to you is "just another" piece of Internet mail and
      goes to wherever mail is received for your address. There is nothing special
      about a bounce message that would make the downstream server send it back to
      the server that sent it the message.

      --
      Larry Stone
      lstone19@...