RE: Bounce replies are not coming back through relay

  • Masao Garcia
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3 6:24 AM
      Wietse,

      Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Our reply-to addresses are for a
      domain that's not handled (yet) by our mail servers. We are in the middle
      of a transition to bringing our e-mail in-house away from an external
      pop/imap provider but during the transition we'd still like to keep the
      reply-to domain name the same (we just have forwards set up on our external
      provider to point to our temporary e-mail addresses). From looking at the
      logs, the bounce is going to our provider's MX server and stops there. If I
      change my reply-to to a domain that is handled by my relay then I get the
      bounce message back.
      So I guess my question is now, will I have to wait until I change the MX
      record to point to my relay before the bounce messages come in or is there a
      way to set up something on my external provider's side to forward the
      bounces to my relay? From my limited understanding of how e-mail servers
      work, I'm thinking I'll have to wait until I change the MX info, right?
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 6:36 AM
        Masao Garcia:
        > Wietse,
        >
        > Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Our reply-to addresses are for a
        > domain that's not handled (yet) by our mail servers. We are in the middle
        > of a transition to bringing our e-mail in-house away from an external
        > pop/imap provider but during the transition we'd still like to keep the
        > reply-to domain name the same (we just have forwards set up on our external
        > provider to point to our temporary e-mail addresses). From looking at the
        > logs, the bounce is going to our provider's MX server and stops there. If I
        > change my reply-to to a domain that is handled by my relay then I get the
        > bounce message back.
        > So I guess my question is now, will I have to wait until I change the MX
        > record to point to my relay before the bounce messages come in or is there a
        > way to set up something on my external provider's side to forward the
        > bounces to my relay? From my limited understanding of how e-mail servers
        > work, I'm thinking I'll have to wait until I change the MX info, right?

        DNS records have a "time to live" (TTL) attribute, which specifies
        how long a remote DNS server may use the information.

        When you change DNS for your mail domain, it will take at least
        one TTL before all the old DNS information has expired.

        Therefore, both the old AND new mail server must handle mail for
        your domain for at least one TTL.

        Wietse
      • Larry Stone
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 7:02 AM
          On 4/3/10 8:24 AM, Masao Garcia at masaog@... wrote:

          > Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Our reply-to addresses are for a
          > domain that's not handled (yet) by our mail servers. We are in the middle
          > of a transition to bringing our e-mail in-house away from an external
          > pop/imap provider but during the transition we'd still like to keep the
          > reply-to domain name the same (we just have forwards set up on our external
          > provider to point to our temporary e-mail addresses). From looking at the
          > logs, the bounce is going to our provider's MX server and stops there. If I
          > change my reply-to to a domain that is handled by my relay then I get the
          > bounce message back.

          Once mail leaves your server, any bounce message generated by a downstream
          server and sent back to you is "just another" piece of Internet mail and
          goes to wherever mail is received for your address. There is nothing special
          about a bounce message that would make the downstream server send it back to
          the server that sent it the message.

          --
          Larry Stone
          lstone19@...