Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Messages held in hold queue didn't bounce after release

Expand Messages
  • Daniel Cizinsky
    Hello! Although documentation is very clear about it following didn t work as expected: 1. I put a message, which wasn t able to go through to recipients on
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello!

      Although documentation is very clear about it following didn't work as
      expected:
      1. I put a message, which wasn't able to go through to recipients on hold
      (it was sent on 17th March, on hold from about 18th) using postsuper -h ID.
      2. Today I released the message using postsuper -H ID. I wanted it to be
      bounced back to the sender. But it was delivered (private data changed):

      Apr 1 22:04:07 machine postfix/smtp[23964]: ID: to=<recipent@...>,
      relay=mail.server.com[11.22.33.44]:25, delay=1339602,
      delays=1339519/0.01/2/81, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Mail 1234 queued
      for delivery)

      I have explicitly (for sure) stated in main.cf:
      maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d

      What's wrong? Is the queue lifetime valid only for locally delivered mail?

      --
      Daniel Cizinsky at lists
    • Noel Jones
      ... This is expected behavior. Mail released from hold with postsuper -H always gets at least one chance to be delivered regardless of its age. -- Noel
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        On 4/1/2010 3:27 PM, Daniel Cizinsky wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > Although documentation is very clear about it following didn't work as
        > expected:
        > 1. I put a message, which wasn't able to go through to recipients on hold
        > (it was sent on 17th March, on hold from about 18th) using postsuper -h ID.
        > 2. Today I released the message using postsuper -H ID. I wanted it to be
        > bounced back to the sender. But it was delivered (private data changed):
        >
        > Apr 1 22:04:07 machine postfix/smtp[23964]: ID: to=<recipent@...>,
        > relay=mail.server.com[11.22.33.44]:25, delay=1339602,
        > delays=1339519/0.01/2/81, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Mail 1234 queued
        > for delivery)
        >
        > I have explicitly (for sure) stated in main.cf:
        > maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d
        >
        > What's wrong? Is the queue lifetime valid only for locally delivered mail?
        >
        > --
        > Daniel Cizinsky at lists


        This is expected behavior. Mail released from hold with
        "postsuper -H" always gets at least one chance to be delivered
        regardless of its age.


        -- Noel Jones
      • Sahil Tandon
        ... From postsuper(1): Note: while mail is on hold it will not expire when its time in the queue exceeds the maximal_queue_lifetime or bounce_queue_lifetime
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          On Thu, 01 Apr 2010, Daniel Cizinsky wrote:

          > Although documentation is very clear about it following didn't work as
          > expected:
          > 1. I put a message, which wasn't able to go through to recipients on hold
          > (it was sent on 17th March, on hold from about 18th) using postsuper -h ID.
          > 2. Today I released the message using postsuper -H ID. I wanted it to be
          > bounced back to the sender. But it was delivered (private data changed):
          >
          > Apr 1 22:04:07 machine postfix/smtp[23964]: ID: to=<recipent@...>,
          > relay=mail.server.com[11.22.33.44]:25, delay=1339602,
          > delays=1339519/0.01/2/81, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Mail 1234 queued
          > for delivery)
          >
          > I have explicitly (for sure) stated in main.cf:
          > maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d
          >
          > What's wrong? Is the queue lifetime valid only for locally delivered mail?

          From postsuper(1):

          Note: while mail is "on hold" it will not expire when its time in the
          queue exceeds the maximal_queue_lifetime or bounce_queue_lifetime
          setting. It becomes subject to expiration after it is released from
          "hold".

          --
          Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
        • Daniel Cizinsky
          ... Thanks a lot! But IMHO it s not really comprehensible from: It becomes subject to expiration after it is released from hold . How shell I force the held
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:40:04PM -0500, Noel Jones wrote:
            >> Daniel Cizinsky at lists
            >
            >
            > This is expected behavior. Mail released from hold with "postsuper -H"
            > always gets at least one chance to be delivered regardless of its age.
            Thanks a lot!

            But IMHO it's not really comprehensible from: 'It becomes subject to
            expiration after it is released from "hold".'

            How shell I force the held message to bounce? I don't really want to drop it
            silently.

            --
            Daniel Cizinsky at lists
          • Victor Duchovni
            ... Move it to the maildrop queue of a different Postfix queue (instance) whose queue directory is on the same file-system, and main.cf contains
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 10:58:09PM +0200, Daniel Cizinsky wrote:

              > On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:40:04PM -0500, Noel Jones wrote:
              > >> Daniel Cizinsky at lists
              > >
              > >
              > > This is expected behavior. Mail released from hold with "postsuper -H"
              > > always gets at least one chance to be delivered regardless of its age.
              > Thanks a lot!
              >
              > But IMHO it's not really comprehensible from: 'It becomes subject to
              > expiration after it is released from "hold".'
              >
              > How shell I force the held message to bounce? I don't really want to drop it
              > silently.

              Move it to the "maildrop" queue of a different Postfix queue (instance)
              whose queue directory is on the same file-system, and main.cf contains

              content_filter = error:...

              --
              Viktor.

              P.S. Morgan Stanley is looking for a New York City based, Senior Unix
              system/email administrator to architect and sustain our perimeter email
              environment. If you are interested, please drop me a note.
            • Daniel Cizinsky
              ... Thanks a lot! That worked well. -- Daniel Cizinsky at various lists
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 05:12:52PM -0400, Victor Duchovni wrote:
                > Move it to the "maildrop" queue of a different Postfix queue (instance)
                > whose queue directory is on the same file-system, and main.cf contains
                >
                > content_filter = error:...
                Thanks a lot! That worked well.

                --
                Daniel Cizinsky at various lists
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.