Re: dict_fnmatch again

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2010
      Michael Tokarev:
      > A few years ago I implemented a new dict for Postfix, dict_fnmatch.
      > It is a shell-style pattern matcher with patterns placed _inline_,
      > right in the config file, without any additional files like
      > pcre/regex (the simplest dictionaries which does not use indexed
      > files) and others.
      >
      > The usage is quite simple but perhaps somewhat
      > ugly:
      >
      > check_client_access
      > fnmatch:*.example.com|*.example.org:554\sGo\saway

      I don't think I have any new ideas with respect to this thread.

      Some (Linux) distributions ship Postfix maps as dynamically-linked
      modules, so you can always add a map type, even when it is not part
      of the vendor's Postfix source tree. Unfortunately those same
      distributions insist on frequently modifying themselves via an
      update mechanism, and that of course discourages the use of local
      extensions.

      The above notation exposes a bunch of special characters (backslashes
      and "|"), making it more of a pain to upgrade the main.cf parser
      without making fnmatch harder to use.

      I would not bundle CDB, SDBM or other infrastructure code with
      Postfix. This has nothing to do with who wrote the code. All code
      will have bugs, and I don't want to issue patches for them.

      The gain from fnmatch is a few less cycles for initialization, and
      a few less characters to type for configuration. It provides no
      functionality that isn't available with pcre or regexp.