Re: Can I Omit Same Values

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2010
      On 3/16/2010 3:49 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
      > I noticed today that many items expressed in main.cf appear to be what
      > "I think" is default value and should not be expressed. I was
      > wondering if this logic is correct:
      >
      > If the following two values are identical, can I simply remove the
      > parameter from 'main.cf'?
      >
      > root@mail:~# postconf -n | grep "sendmail_path"
      > sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
      >
      > root@mail:~# postconf -d | grep "sendmail_path"
      > sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
      >
      > This wont break or hurt Postfix, correct? I should only add values in
      > main.cf that differ from the default and remove redundant entries,
      > right? Just am worried I would break Postfix in some special scenarios
      > Postfix expects the default value to be expressed again in 'main.cf'.
      >
      > Thanks for any clarification.

      The default values shown by "postconf -d" are what postfix
      will use if a parameter is unset in main.cf.

      If the default value is suitable for you, there's no reason
      for the parameter to be in main.cf.

      Removing default parameters are unlikely to break anything.
      If unsure, comment the parameter out by placing a "#" before
      it, then reload postfix. That way you can quickly add it back
      if something doesn't work as expected. Important Note: if a
      parameter values span multiple lines you need to comment out
      each line, not just the line with the parameter name.