Re: change hostname based on relay

  • Manuel Mely
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2010
      On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:12 AM, ram <ram@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 10:10 -0400, Manuel Mely wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> Is there a way to change my hostname based on the relay i'm using?
      >>
      >> For example, i have postfix servers in an ha config that relays to three
      >> differents mail service providers, this providers restricts me in what
      >> helo i have
      >> to use;
      > How do you rotate your relay servers  .. DNS Round robin ?

      In my private subnet, i have three postfix servers in an ha config, using
      keepalived and i have three different mail service providers for relay to
      the world. This providers also delivers mail to me using transport table.
      They use DNS round robin on the internet side.

      >>  so if i'm using ISP1 as relay, i must identify as helo1.mydomain
      >> if i'm using ISP2 then helo2.mydomain... this it's really annoying but
      >> rules are rules.
      >> Then, i need a way to change the helo based on the sender_dependent_relayhost
      > Sender dependent ?  If I understand correctly all you need is distribute
      > between three servers.

      Yes, sender dependent. I'm dealing with 3 different email domains in my company
      and all my network clients uses the same smtp load balancers.
      So, knowing the sender address and using sender_dependent_relayhost i
      can deliver
      the email to the correct relay.
      But the problem there is at the relaying time, my mail service providers check
      helo; my hostname must be configured as each providers told me in
      order to relay each.
      That's what it's not working with the load balancers :(

      > This seems difficult with a single postfix instance. Probably running a
      > second instance will help.
      >
      > * Run another instance with 3 different smtpd processes on 3 new ips
      > * The first instance sends the mail to all these 3 ips in round robin
      > * On the second instance depending on the entry ip write a FILTER rule
      > to send using a different smtp process
      > * Control the helo in the smtp process you use
      >

      > That seems pretty complicated :-) And you will also add an unnecessary
      > hop for every mail.  If you get a better a solution let me know too.

      That's what i thought before sending this message, but seems
      complicated... but not imposible.
      I will try it ;)

      PS: Maybe it's time to talk with my ISP, and get an internet routeable
      ip, no relay, no complications... and no spam Stan. ;)

      Thanks ram!