Re: Planning An Upgrade

  • Brian Evans - Postfix List
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2010
      On 2/25/2010 11:34 AM, Carlos Williams wrote:
      > I am getting ready to step up my Postfix version from
      > postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2 (Package maintainers version) to Simon's
      > binary RPM 2.7.0 package. Currently I checked out the 'Release Notes":
      >
      > http://de.postfix.org/ftpmirror/official/postfix-2.7.0.RELEASE_NOTES
      >
      > From what I read, no functionalist has been removed but I am stepping
      > up from such an old version granted it's the latest version available
      > from Red Hat Enterprise Linux, there could be problems with my
      > particular configuration. I was wondering if I did decide to step up
      > this weekend during some downtime, how difficult would it be to simply
      > drop my current 2.3.x configuration into the 2.7.0 build on my Red Hat
      > Enterprise Linux server? I attached my 'postfconf -n' below because
      > maybe someone will see something that would break or not work well in
      > 2.7.
      >
      > Thanks for any support! Sadly there are no guides for configuration on
      > 2.7 from scratch since it's so new.

      One of the few configuration lines that should change (and will log a
      warning to remind you) is below:

      > smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/spool/postfix/smtpd_tls_cache

      According to
      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_session_cache_database,
      This location should be moved to $data_directory as of Postfix 2.5.

      You may have to rebuild your map files if any of the map library
      versions differ from old to new.
      You will know if this is required by the log files saying "Server
      configuration problem".

      After such a large jump, I recommend scanning the log files for signs of
      trouble more frequently until you are satisfied.

      Other than that, standard upgrade procedures apply. ("postfix
      upgrade-configuration", etc)

      Brian