Re: Some questions about logging

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2010
      /dev/rob0:
      > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:23:08PM +0100, Borja Marcos wrote:
      > > I'm enhancing a program I use to follow Postfix logs in sort of
      > > real-time. It does a couple of things, and the most important is to
      > > record a single-line summaries for each message, storing source IP
      > > address, from, to, timestamp, size, final delivery destination
      > > (mail relay or mailbox) and status.
      >
      > You can trivially have smtpd(8) help you substantially. smtpd will
      > log everything it has regarding a message (everything before final
      > delivery) with one simple restriction:
      > smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions =
      > check_recipient_access static:warn
      >
      > End of data was chosen because at that time the actual message size
      > is known. Recipient access was chosen because it gives a separate
      > entry per recipient of a multiple-recipient message. Salt to taste,
      > enjoy.

      smtpd_data/end_of_data_restrictions has no information about
      recipients of multi-recipient mail. Acting on only one recipient
      would be misleading, because any decision will affect all recipients
      equally. Acting on all recipients would also require a possibly
      very large amount of memory, and would also be misleading for the
      reasons mentioned before.

      Yes, the documentation could be improved.